Records of the employment history of regular non-union and regular unionized staff members.
This records class is a Personal Information Bank.
Related Records | Responsible Unit | Information Steward | Information Confidentiality Classification | Retention | Disposition | Authority | Retention Rationale | Other Units with Copies | Version Information
Content & Scope
This records class includes regular full-time and regular part-time staff as defined in Policy 54 and regular union staff and apprentices represented by C.U.P.E. Local 793.
This records class excludes staff performance appraisals; employee information required to administer pay, pension, and benefits; discipline, dispute resolution and grievance case files; and the information on individual employees maintained in the human resources management system.
The records include records related to initial appointment; records related to subsequent appointments; mandatory and optional qualifications and certifications; records related to secondments and leaves; notices of special awards and achievements; and related correspondence.
- For staff performance appraisals, see HR36 – Performance Appraisal (Staff).
- For employee information required to administer pay, pension, and benefits, see HR52 – Employment Files (Financial).
- For discipline, dispute resolution and grievance case files, see HR45 – Discipline (Staff) Case Files and HR48 – Dispute Resolution and Grievances.
- For information on individual employees maintained in the human resources management system, see HR05 – Human Resources Management System.
Associate Provost, Human Resources.
8 years after the later of termination of employment or settlement of all entitlements under the University's pension and benefit plans.
Responsible Units should document the disposal/destruction of official records using the University records destruction form or equivalent documentation, to verify that we are following our records retention rules.
- University of Waterloo Act, 1972.
- Policy 18 – Staff Employment.
- Union Agreement between the University of Waterloo and the Canadian Union of Public Employees C.L.C. Local 793.
- Human Resources Records guideline.
The retention period is based on the University guideline, Human Resources Records.
Retention of Copies
Up to 5 years after transfer to another University unit, termination of employment, or retirement.
Disposition of Copies
26 October 2011