Records supporting applications for financial assistance through the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP).
This records class is a Personal Information Bank.
Related Records | Responsible Unit | Information Steward | Information Confidentiality Classification | Retention | Disposition | Authority | Retention Rationale | Version Information
Content & Scope
OSAP provides federally and provincially funded financial assistance to students in Ontario in the form of loans, grants, bursaries, and scholarships.
The records include documents related to immigration status, marital status, forms, and related correspondence.
- A record of financial aid received is maintained as part of the student record in the enterprise student information system (currently, Quest).
- For supporting documentation relating to non-OSAP financial aid, see ST30 – Student Financial Aid Case Files.
- For supporting documentation related to scholarships, bursaries, and awards, see ST28 – Scholarships, Bursaries, and Awards Case Files.
Registrar's Office, Student Awards & Financial Aid.
Information Confidentiality Classification
2 years after the end of the annual loan cycle.
Records are transferred to the Ministry of Training, Colleges, and Universities.
- University of Waterloo Act, 1972.
- Ministry of Training, Colleges, and Universities Act and related regulations.
- Canada Student Financial Assistance Act and related regulations.
The Ministry of Training, Colleges, and Universities requires that the University maintain documents in support of OSAP applications for 2 years. Once transferred to the Ministry, they are retained for 20 years and then destroyed.
26 July 2010