Records of appeals by students of decisions made under Policy 33 – Ethical Behaviour, Policy 70 – Student Petitions and Grievances, or Policy 71 – Student Discipline.
This records class is a Personal Information Bank.
Related Records | Responsible Unit | Information Steward | Information Confidentiality Classification | Retention | Disposition | Authority | Retention Rationale | Other Units with Copies | Version Information
Content & Scope
Student appeals are heard by tribunals made up of members of a Faculty Committee on Student Appeals (FCSA) or the University Committee on Student Appeals (UCSA) as set out in Policy 72 – Student Appeals.
The records include notices of appeal (Form 72A); replies (Form 72B); supporting documents and related correspondence; recordings of hearings; and decisions and summaries.
- For records of investigations of academic or non-academic misconduct, see ST85 – Student Discipline Case Files.
- For records of student grievances, see ST88 – Student Grievances Case Files.
- An anonymized summary of cases is prepared by the Secretariat and posted on the University's website.
- Deans' Offices.
- Associate Deans.
- University Secretary, for records of the Secretariat and the UCSA.
- Dean of the relevant faculty, for all other records.
- Decisions: retained by Associate Deans for 20 years after the decision is rendered.
- Tribunal records: retained by the relevant dean's office (FCSA tribunals) or the Secretariat (UCSA tribunals) for 3 years after the decision is rendered, except that audio-recordings of hearings must be destroyed once the decision is rendered.
- Anonymized summaries of cases: retained permanently by the Secretariat.
Responsible Units should document the disposal/destruction of official records using the University records destruction form or equivalent documentation, to verify that we are following our records retention rules.
- University of Waterloo Act, 1972.
- Policy 72 – Student Appeals.
The retention period is based on operational use.
- Tribunal members.
- Registrar's Office.
- Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs.
- Co-operative Education.
- Units involved in the case.
Retention of Copies
- Tribunal members: Until the decision is rendered.
- Other units: Up to 1 year after any necessary action on the case has been taken.
Disposition of Copies
26 July 2010