Records of faculty Associate Deans’ investigations of allegations of academic and non-academic misconduct by students.
This records class is a Personal Information Bank.
Related Records | Responsible Unit | Information Steward | Information Confidentiality Classification | Retention | Disposition | Authority | Retention Rationale | Other Units with Copies | Version Information
Content & Scope
Academic offences include cheating, plagiarism, unauthorized collaboration, impersonating another student, etc.; non-academic offences include disruptive, dangerous, aggressive or threatening behaviour, mischief, vandalism, etc.
This records class excludes records of student discipline managed internally by administrative support units such as Housing & Residences or Athletics.
The records include investigation notes and documents, e.g., copies of examinations and other academic work; decisions; summaries of disciplinary action taken (Form 71A); and related correspondence.
- For records of discipline cases investigated by Police Services, see also HS76 – Police Incident/ Occurrence Case Files.
- Records of student discipline managed internally by administrative support units such as Housing and Residences or Athletics are classed with the student records of those units.
- An anonymized summary of cases is prepared by the Secretariat and posted on the University's website.
- Associate Deans.
- University Secretary, for anonymized summaries of cases.
- Dean of the relevant faculty, for all other records.
- Public: anonymized summaries of cases.
- Restricted: all other records.
- Decisions: retained by Associate Deans as follows:
- No disciplinary action: 2 years after the student has graduated or after last registration.
- Disciplinary action taken: 20 years after the decision is rendered.
- Case file materials: 3 years after the decision is rendered.
- Anonymized summaries of disciplinary action taken: retained permanently by the Secretariat.
- University of Waterloo Act, 1972.
- Policy 71 – Student Discipline.
The retention period is based on operational use.
- Registrar's Office.
- Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs.
- Co-operative Education.
- Other units involved in the case.
Retention of Copies
Up to 1 year after any necessary action on the case has been taken.
Disposition of Copies
26 July 2010