Call for Joint Proposals within the Waterloo —Technion Cooperation 2023
The University of Waterloo and the Technion-Israel Institute of Technology have established a strong partnership through reciprocal visits led by their respective Presidents, joint conferences, and workshops. They have identified each other as strategic partners for advancing collaboration in priority research areas of national and international significance.
Following the signing of a Strategic Research Partnership in 2021, both institutions are committed to further developing joint research, innovation, and commercialization activities in areas of mutual interest and expertise. With the support of the Gerald Schwartz and Heather Reisman Foundation, the two institutions are dedicated to foster entrepreneurship and facilitate the transfer of technology from academia to industry. This partnership holds great potential for advancing scientific knowledge and promoting economic growth in both Canada and Israel.
Aim of the call for proposals
The aim of this specific call is to foster and enhance cooperation in joint research, innovation, and commercialization between the two institutions.
The priority areas of collaboration for this call are limited to:
- Applications of Artificial Intelligence in Human Health
Each approved project can receive up to $30,000 (Canadian) per project partner, up to a total over the duration of the project of $60,000 (Canadian) per joint project. It is expected that up to five projects will be funded, with at least one project funded in each priority area. Projects may run for a maximum of two years.
- Travel and training: subsistence costs for mutual visits, participation at and organization of joint labs, seminars, workshops, conferences etc.
- Personnel: stipends, or salaries and benefits of graduate students, postdoctoral fellows, analysts, and support staff involved in the research project.
- Equipment and software: computers, servers, networking equipment, specialized software, and other hardware.
- Data collection and analysis: threat intelligence, network traffic logs, and vulnerability assessments.
- Facilities and Utilities: Fees to use specialized laboratory facilities for testing and experimentation.
- Publication and dissemination.
The results and the expenses of the joint projects shall be presented in
- a short PROGRESS report after the first year of joint research project.
- a FINAL report at the completion of the project (normally over a two-year period using a supplied template).
Proposal structure and content
- State the scientific scope and objectives of the international collaboration.
- Describe the state of the art and team’s preliminary work.
- Provide the research plan, including a description of inclusive training opportunities and the added value of the international collaboration.
- Explain the potential outcomes and impacts of the proposed project, including knowledge mobilization plans.
- Provide a budget and justification for both institutions.
- List and describe the plans to extend the collaboration, including securing funds from external agencies.
NOTE: The entire document you have to submit is 4-page with a one page proposal.
- Relevance to the selected priority area and within the related research community.
- Originality and potential impact of the proposed international research.
- Feasibility of the project with respect to scope, resources, expertise, ethical considerations, access to data, and potential impact.
- Advancement of collaboration between the universities.
- Plans for enriched and inclusive training opportunities for research trainees.
- Knowledge mobilization activities (such as joint publications, commercialization/licensing, policy briefs, etc.)
- Strategy for seeking external third-party funding to sustain the international collaboration.
- Proposals will be evaluated by a joint committee established by both universities based on the selection criteria outlined above.
- Call for proposals: April 11, 2023
- Submission deadline: May 26, 2023
- Project start: any time after funding announcement
- Project duration: 12 or 24 months
- Progress Report Due: June 28, 2024/5 (One year after commencement)
- Final report due: June 28, 2025/6 (Two years after commencement)
Please send a signed joint proposal by May 26, 2023, by e-mail to:
The University of Waterloo
Office of Research, EC5
University of Waterloo
The Technion-Israel Institute of Technology Haifa
Office of the Executive Vice President for Research