Many of today's modern conveniences and advances, as well as a true understanding of the world we live in, began with research.
Research is an integral and intensive area at the University of Waterloo and recognized worldwide. Waterloo attracted more than $249.1 million from public and private sources in 2022-2023 to fund research across a spectrum of challenges, and is home to:
- Over 25 University and senate-approved centres and institutes
- 71 Canada Research Chairs
- Two Canada 150 Research Chairs: Kerstin Dautenhahn (Intelligent Robotics) and Anita Layton (Mathematical Biology and Medicine)
- One Canada Excellence Research Chair: Katja Mombaur (Human-Centred Robotics and Machine Intelligence) and two Canada Excellence Research Chair Laureates: Philippe Van Cappellen (Ecohydrology) and David Cory (Quantum Information Processing)
Waterloo was named most innovative university in Canada in the Maclean's 2023 rankings along with second for best overall university in the country and third in Canada for highest quality. For 15 years in a row, the University of Waterloo has been recognized as Research University of the Year among Canadian comprehensive universities by Research Infosource Inc.
Waterloo's continued commitment to research excellence includes supporting faculty members with research at various stages including the application, managing funds, research ethics, and commercialization.
Publications and Strategic Plans
- Our Connected World: Research Strategic Plan 2020-2025
- Waterloo Climate Institute - Accelerating the transition to a just, resilient, low-carbon future
- The Water Institute's 2021-22 Impact Report
To request copies of any materials, please email email@example.com.
Office of Research
East Campus 5, third floor
519-888-4567, ext. 42526
Please send any comments, concerns, or suggestions to ResearchOffice@uwaterloo.ca.