Moving an innovation from the lab to a product that is economically viable and improves lives can be a complicated process. Highly legalistic, it requires experienced management of the issues to realize the full potential of the innovation.
Working in conjunction with University researchers and partners, WatCo is focused on enhancing the opportunity to commercialize the innovation. By taking on this role, WatCo makes the commercialization process smoother allowing researchers to focus on research.
WatCo's team of professionals manages the entire process for Waterloo researchers including the following activities:
- Confirm technology pedigree - sort out legal issues relevant to licensees and investors, e.g., who has rights? who are inventors? as well as disclosure and prior art status
- Assess opportunity - define and position the opportunity in commercial terms, e.g., identifying "market pain," market size, barriers to entry, commercial pathway
- Protect IP - create an "asset" and preserve commercial opportunity, i.e., investment in patent costs and IP management
- Develop prototype - validate performance and advance commercial readiness, i.e., secure funding for proof of concept projects
- Tap into WatCo's network of business and investor contacts
- Facilitate the creation of startup companies or negotiate license agreements with existing companies
Work with WatCo to take your innovation to the next level.