Funding links below in the “Recently Announced Opportunities” section bring users to the Pivot-RP page for each specific funding opportunity. There, additional in-depth details and a direct link to the sponsor’s website are available. Always check the sponsor’s website for the current external deadline date. You will need a Pivot-RP account to view these opportunities; please use your University of Waterloo credentials to set up and sign in to your Pivot-RP account. For detailed instructions to create your account, please refer to the Pivot-RP help page on the OR site.
If you plan to apply for funds, please contact Ibi Brown. If you desire an application review and/or your project requires institutional sign-off, please be sure to submit your application no less than one week before the agency deadline.
A completed Cover Sheet approved by the Chair/Director and Dean of the PI is required for each proposal.
Looking for other types of funding? Explore the thousands of opportunities in Pivot-RP by using the Customized Search features, as well as browsing the customized international funding opportunities curated search.
Upcoming Research Opportunities
Mitacs Globalink Opportunities
|Agency Deadline||Program Name||Award Amount|
|June 8, 2022 (1 PM PT / 4 PM ET)||Mitacs Globalink Research Internship||$6,000 CAD|
|Ongoing||Mitacs Globalink Research Award||$6,000 CAD|
|Ongoing||Mitacs-Wallonie-Bruxelles International (WBI)||$6,000 CAD|
|Ongoing||Mitacs-SICI Globalink Research Award Program||$6,000 CAD|
Applicants are welcome from all Mitacs partners; however, preference will be given to applications for student mobility with Waterloo’s bilateral partnerships with the University of Bordeaux, University of Grenoble Alps, École Polytechnique, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, and emerging partnership with INRIA. Furthermore, please review Canadian and international travel restrictions before submitting your application.
To apply for either of these calls, contact Ashley Hannon or Amanda Green for the application documents; then, send your completed application form to Ibi Brown for Office of Research review and signature. For projects conducted outside of Canada, academic supervisors must submit the complete application package by email to Ashley Hannon or Amanda Green.
Submission: Proposals must be submitted to the Office of Research one week prior to the agency deadline unless stated otherwise and be accompanied by a completed Cover Sheet signed by the PI, Department Chair or Research Centre Director and Faculty Dean or ADR (please refer to the Cover Sheet instructions for details). For all funding opportunities listed below, please contact Ibi Brown unless otherwise noted.
Feedback: We encourage early submission to take advantage of our review service. We provide feedback to help polish applications for maximum impact focusing on:
- Adherence to guidelines and policies
- Budget and eligible expenses
- Readability and impact
- Selection criteria clearly and fully addressed
- Research Explorer - The German research directory – Find research institutes at German universities and non-university research institutions, searchable by geographic location, subject and other structural criteria
- DAAD research funding for faculty
- Research in Germany – Funding Programmes
- cognit.ca - access expertise, facilities and IP at Canada's post-secondary institutions.
- Horizon Europe Guide for Canadians - links resesearchers in Canada to information about Horizon Europe programs.
- EURAXESS North America - links researchers in North America with the European Research Area for Horizon2020 programs.
- IC-IMPACTS - offers Canadian-Indian funding opportunities.
- MSCA Individual Fellowships 2019 Handbook - provides information about Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions Individual Fellowships.
- Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions - provides information about the Research Fellowship Programme
- ERRIN Partner Search - allows researchers to search for partners for EU-funded projects
- IDRC Scaling Science - provides a new approach for designing, managing, and evaluating research for impact as it relates to the knowledge, innovation and solutions to improve the lives of people in the developing world
- OpenERC - tools to help guide researchers to develop a successful ERC grant: contact Nikolaos Floratos
- European Research Executive Agency - apply to evaluate and monitor projects
|Webinar||Date / Time|
University of Waterloo and Bordeaux Partnership
The partnership between the University of Waterloo and the University of Bordeaux began in 2010 as a collaboration resulting from shared research interests in materials science and nanotechnology. Since then, this partnership has led to several joint initiatives, including workshops, a bio-based chemistry international undergraduate program, and a strategic framework agreement for international collaboration. Internal calls for research proposals supporting Waterloo and Bordeaux researchers with seed funding—most recently focused on artificial intelligence and health research—have resulted in several conferences and workshops, new innovations and technologies, joint publications, and other valuable outcomes.
Learn more about the impacts of the ongoing partnership between Waterloo and Bordeaux at our joint website.
Hiring Co-ops for International Research Projects
Interested in employing co-op students for your international projects? Contact Lisa ter Woort, Account Manager, International Co-op/International Mobility, Co-operative Education. Please also refer to the Supporting International Co-op Activities Text for helpful information.
For any other questions related to international co-op, please reach out to Lisa ter Woort
Please note that UW co-op students will continue to work remotely from Canada during the COVID-19 crisis and are still willing to participate in international projects. Researchers can contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.