Conducting research in Northern Canada

To conduct research in one of the Canadian Territories a Scientific Research License may be required regardless of whether the research is in the field of biomedical science or in the social sciences. Applications for a licence may need to be submitted at least 3 months prior to the research commencement date. It is the researcher’s responsibility to be aware of the requirements for the geographical areas in which they want to conduct research. The requirements can vary depending on the scope of the project.

Research licensing in the Territories


Research with Indigenous Peoples - University of Waterloo 

Resources and Guides for Indigenous Research - University of Waterloo

Ownership, Control, Access and Possession (OCAP) principles - First Nations Information Governance Centre

Understanding the First Nations Principles of OCAP: Our Road Map to Governance - YouTube

For researchers: Doing Indigenous research in a good way - Memorial University

Updated May 2024