519-888-4567, ext. 36578
Professor Juan Moreno-Cruz is an Associate Professor at the School of Environment, Enterprise and Development at the University of Waterloo. He is also a CESifo Research Affiliate.Prior to his current position, Moreno-Cruz was an Associate Professor in the School of Economics at the Georgia Institute of Technology (2011-2017). He has also been a Visiting Researcher in the Department of Global Ecology of the Carnegie Institution for Science at Stanford University (since 2015); an Advisor for Carnegie Energy Innovation (since 2017), and a Research Associate of Harvard University’s Solar Geoengineering Research Program.
Professor Moreno-Cruz's research focuses on the interaction of energy systems, technological change, and climate policy. His most influential work examines how solar and carbon geoengineering technologies affect climate policy. His most recent work provides novel insights into the process of energy transitions by demonstrating how energy access shapes the organization of the economy in cities and how energy consumption in cities in turn pollutes the local and global environment.
- INDEV 606 - Energy Sustainability
- SUSM 702 - Research Methods
- The Impact of Climate Change on Fertility (2019) with Gregory Casey, Soheil Shayegh, Martin Bunzl, Oded Galor and Ken Caldeira Environmental Research Letters Vol 14, no 5.
- Strategic Implications of Counter-Geoengineering: Clash or Cooperation? (2019) with Daniel Heyen and Joshua Horton Journal of Environmental Economics and Management Vol95, 153-177.
- Liberalisation Lowers Primary Energy Efficiency: Evidence from Twin Power Systems (2019) with Eve Tsybina and Alexey Tereshin. Energy Vol 173, 423-435.
- Maize and Precolonial Africa. (2018) with Jevan Cherniwchan. Journal of Development Economics Vol 136, 137-150.
- Solar Geoengineering, Uncertainty, and the Price of Carbon. (2018) with Garth Heutel and Soheil Shayegh. Journal of Environmental Economics and Management. Vol 87, 24-41
- Ph.D - Economics, University of Calgary
- M.Sc. - Electrical Engineering, Universidad de Los Andes
- B.Sc. - Electrical Engineering, Universidad de Los Andes