Equipping future environmental leaders
The Master of Environmental Studies (MES) in Sustainability Management (SUSM) is a graduate research degree with six courses and a thesis.
The program provides future sustainability innovators with interdisciplinary research skills, management approaches, strategies and processes to realize sustainable outcomes within business, government and third sector organizations.
Our graduates work as:
- Consultant, Anthesis Group
- Program Manager, Mennonite Economic Development Associates
- Junior Analyst, Sustainalytics
- Climate Change Coordinator, The Town of Lincoln
- Co-Founder, NU Grocery
- Corporate Responsibility Analyst, Groupe AGÉCO
Here's what our graduates have to say about MES in SUSM:
“There are three things that fascinate me about the SUSM program: the interdisciplinary approach to research, the diversity of my class, and focus on industry practices. If you are looking for a program that perfectly integrates sustainability concepts into research and business, this is the program for you!”
-Tobi Oyewole, 2021
“The SUSM program is a great interdisciplinary platform to launch oneself into the world of business, policy-making and advanced higher research.”
- Anastasia Veeramani, 2015
“The staff were consistently supportive and always approachable. The program is diverse with an international lens, which helped to expand my horizons both in and out of the classroom.”
- Xiaoling Wang, 2014
Where do our graduates go?
Results from our 2021 alumni review reveal that SUSM Masters alumni are prolific creators of academia and management. (Based on data from 77% of Alumni)
- 19% of our SUSM master students have gone on to doctoral studies
Of those out of School
- 62% are employed with the private sector including corporations, consulting companies, private firms
- 8% have entered professorial or teaching positions
- 15% work in public service including Federal or Provincial government, municipalities, First Nations, public agencies, and international multilateral organizations
- 15% have jobs in the third sector including NGOs, development organizations
- 4 alumni founded their own companies
Collaborative Water Program
Co-ordinated and supported by the Water Institute, the Collaborative Water Program promotes the development of interdisciplinary perspectives. The MES in Sustainability Management – Water is a unique program that allows students to complete their specialist training in SEED while working with peers from a variety of departments/schools and faculties. Students study complex water problems and learn how to work in interdisciplinary teams to better understand and address water issues. Graduates are future water leaders who are able to communicate across disciplines and within interdisciplinary teams in the water sector.
Complete the form below to recieve a copy of the Faculty of Environment's Graduate Studies digital brochure.
MES in Sustainability Management