PhD Sociology (Western)
MA Sociology (Western)
BA Honours (University of Winnipeg)
Jointly appointed in the Department of Sociology and Legal Studies and School of Public Health and Health Systems. Cross appointed to the School of Pharmacy. I supervise master’s and doctoral students as well as undergraduate honours papers in both sociology and health studies.
Research and teaching areas
Main thematic area: Social inequality and public policy
Secondary thematic area: Migration, borders and transnationalism
- Sociology of health and health inequality
- Social Demography
My research interests are generally in the area of social inequality, including its impact on health. I am particularly interested in social policy, especially viewing policies like social assistance and pensions from the perspective of the life course.
I am currently the principal investigator of the Canadian Student Tobacco, Alcohol and Drug Survey (CSTADS). CSTADS is a national school-based surveillance survey conducted by the Propel Centre for Population Health Impact, on behalf of Health Canada. The survey is the main source of national data on substance use and related behaviors, including smoking, alcohol and cannabis use, among Canadian children in Grades 7 to 12.
I am happy to supervise master's and PhD students in either Sociology or Health Studies, with a focus on inequities in health. For master's students, I often suggest quantitative projects, using secondary data from the Statistics Canada Research Data Centres Program, accessibly through the South-Western Ontario Research Data Centre at Waterloo.
Selected publications and presentations
- Ryan, C., Cooke, M. Leatherdale, S., Kirkpatrick, S. and Wilk, P (2017) The Correlates of Physical Activity among Adult Métis. Ethnicity and Health. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/13557858.2017.1294655.
- Wilk, P., Maltby, A and Cooke, M. (2017). Residential Schools and the Effects on Indigenous Health and Well-Being in Canada - A Scoping Review. Public Health Reviews 38 (8). DOI: 10.1186/s40985-017-0055-6.
- Wilk, P. A Maltby and Cooke, M. (2017) Changing BMI Scores among Indigenous and Non-Indigenous Children, Youth and Young Adults: Untangling Age, period and Cohort Effects. Canadian Studies in Population. 44 (1-2): 28-41.
- Cooke, M., Waite, N., Cook, K., Milne, E., Chang, F., McCarthy, L., Sproule, B. (2017) Incorporating sex, gender and vulnerable populations in a large multisite health research program: The Ontario Pharmacy Research Collaboration as a Case Study. Health Research Policy and Systems 1 (20). DOI: 10.1186/s12961-017-0182-z
- Bhawra, J., Cooke, M., Guo, Y. and Wilk, P. (2017). The effects of household food security, household characteristics and school environment on obesity status among off-reserve First Nations and Métis children in Canada: results from the 2012 Aboriginal Peoples Survey. Health Promotion and Chronic Disease prevention in Canada. 37 (3). 77-86.
- McCarthy, L., Milne, E., Waite, N., Cooke, M., Cook, K., Chang, F., Sproule, B. (2017). Sex and Gender-Based Analysis in Pharmacy Practice Research: A Scoping Review. Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.sapharm.2016.11.007
- Ryan, C., Leatherdale, S., Cooke, M. (2016). Factors Associated with Current Smoking Among Off-Reserve First Nations and Métis Youth Results from the 2012 Aboriginal Peoples Survey. Journal of Primary Prevention. 1-15. DOI: 10.1007/s10935-016-0456-1.
- Ryan, C.J., Cooke, M. and Leatherdale, S. T. (2016). Factors associated with heavy drinking among First Nations and Métis youth and adults: evidence from the 2012 Aboriginal Peoples Survey. Preventive Medicine 87: 95-102
- Ryan, C. J., Leatherdale, S. T., Cooke, M. (2016) A cross-sectional examination of the correlates of current smoking among off-reserve First Nations and Métis adults: evidence from the 2012 Aboriginal Peoples Survey. Addictive Behaviours 54 74-81.
- Bhawra, J., Cooke, M.J., Hanning, R., Wilk, P. & Gonneville, S.L.H. (2015). Community perspectives on food insecurity and obesity: Focus groups with caregivers of Métis and Off-reserve First Nations children. International Journal for Equity in Health 14:96 DOI 10.1186/s12939-015-0232-5
- Cooke, M. and O’Sullivan, E. (2014). The Impact of Migration on the First Nations Community Well-Being Index. Social Indicators Research. July 2014.
- Mitrou, F., Cooke, M., Lawrence, D., Povah, D., Mobila, E., Guimond, E. and Zubrick, S. (2014) Gaps in Indigenous disadvantage not closing: a census cohort study of social determinants of health in Australia, Canada, and New Zealand from 1981–2006. BMC Public Health 14:201.
- Towns, C., Cooke, M., Rysdale, L. and Wilk, P. (2014). Healthy Weights Interventions in Aboriginal Children and Youth: A Review of the Literature. Canadian Journal of Dietetic Research and Practice 75(3): 125-131.
- Hill, G. and Cooke, M. (2013). How Do You Build a Community? Developing Community Capacity and Social Capital in an Urban Aboriginal Setting. Pimatsiwin: A Journal of Aboriginal and Indigenous Community Health 11(3)
- Cooke, M. Wilk, P., Paul, K. and Gonneville, S. (2013) Predictors of Obesity Among Métis Children: Socio-economic, Behavioural and Cultural Factors. Canadian Journal of Public Health 104 (4).
- Cooke, M. (2013). “‘And then I got Pregnant’: Early Childbearing in the first Nations Life Course." International Indigenous Policy Journal 4, 1.
- Cooke M. (2012) “Social Policy for 201s Century Risks." Arts Lecture Series Scholarship for an Uncertain World
- Cooke, M. Indigenous Migrations in Canada. (2012) In Ness, E. (ed.) The Encyclopedia of Global Human Migration. New York: Blackwell.
- Cooke, M. and McWhirter, J. 2011 "Public Policy and Aboriginal Peoples in Canada: Taking a Lifecourse Perspective." Forthcoming in Canadian Public Policy. 37 (Supp.) S13-S31.
- Gaudet, S., Cooke, M. and Jacob, J. (2011) “Returning to work after childbirth: widening inequalities in women’s life courses” Canadian Review of Sociology. 48(2): 153-180.
- Cooke, M. and D. Long (2011). Moving Beyond the Politics of Aboriginal Well-Being, Health and Healing in Long, D. and O.P. Dickason (Eds.) Visions of the Heart: an Introduction to Canadian Aboriginal Issues, Third ed. Toronto: Nelson