Department of Environment and Resource Studies
Bob has worked mostly on environmental and sustainability policy issues. His research and writing have centred on decision-making successes and failures in environmental planning, assessment and regulation in various Canadian jurisdictions and on the emerging design and practice of sustainability assessment. For the past decade or so he has been examining how best to integrate broad sustainability considerations in:
- land use decision making in urban growth management
- see the Ontario and British Columbia case studies published on the Assessment and Planning Project,
- in corporate greening initiatives
- see his book Voluntary Initiatives: the new politics of corporate greening,
- and in environmental assessments at the project and strategic levels
- see the Sustainability Assessment Project website.
His book on Sustainability Assessment was published by Earthscan in 2005.
University of Waterloo