Cory Zurell is a Lecturer in the Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering at the University of Waterloo, supporting the Architectural Engineering program. He is a licenced Professional Engineer in Ontario and Nova Scotia and is also a Principal at Blackwell Structural Engineers.
Dr. Zurell has extensive experience in building design as well as bridge design, and has been involved in many architectural- and engineering-award-winning projects. While experienced with a variety of structural materials, he is particularly experienced in timber design, and has lectured at various industry events on adaptive reuse of historic buildings and the use of heavy/mass timber in large, non-residential buildings.
Prior to joining UW full-time, Dr. Zurell was an adjunct instructor for over ten years, teaching structural design courses to architecture and engineering students at UW as well as at Laurentian University’s School of Architecture.
Dr. Zurell is an associate member of the Technical Committee for CSA S6, the Canadian Highway Bridge Design Code, for which he chairs the Timber Design Sub-committee. He is also a member of the committee for the APA/ANSI PRG-320 standard for Cross-Laminated Timber.
Selected Building Projects
- CIGI Campus, Waterloo ON
- Google Waterloo/The Breithaupt Block, Kitchener ON
- Cree Village Eco-lodge, Moose Factory ON
- Hoop Dance Gathering Place, Mohawk College, Hamilton ON
- IDEA Building, Dalhousie University, Halifax NS
- Deer Clan Longhouse Reconstruction, Crawford Lake Conservation Area, Milton ON
- Knox Presbyterian Church, Waterloo ON
- Moorelands Camp Dining Hall, Dorset ON
- Peace Bridge Canadian Border Services Building, Fort Erie ON
- Prince Arthur’s Landing Waterfront Redevelopment, Thunder Bay ON
- Schulich School of Business, York University ON
- St. Jacob’s Farmers’ Market, Woolwich ON
- Tata Steel D.S.O., Schefferville NFLD
- Yonge-Dundas Square, Toronto ON
2004, Doctorate, Civil Engineering, University of Ottawa
1997, B.A.Sc., Civil Engineering, University of Waterloo