Computing questions? Connect with the Arts Computing Office Help Desk on our live chat! Available Monday to Friday, 9:30AM - 4:30PM, with some exceptions.
What is happening?
On January 14, 2020, Microsoft will be discontinuing all support for the Windows 7 operating system (including Service Pack 1); operating system updates will no longer be available after this date.
- Computers on the campus network running the Windows 7 operating system beyond this date present a serious risk to the University, as any newly discovered security vulnerability will not be able to be corrected.
- This ultimately endangers the confidentiality, integrity, and/or availability of information in the University’s care.
Arts Computing has a plan in place to update staff and faculty systems still at Windows 7 to Windows 10.
- Staff and Faculty office systems have largely been upgraded as of the Spring 2019 term
- We are identifying those systems that fall outside of these two groups to have them upgraded, including ‘take home’ systems.
Laptops and take home systems
The process for laptops and take home systems will require that those systems be brought to the ARTS Computing Help Desk (PAS-1077) for the wipe and re-image to happen manually.
- Please contact the ACO Help Desk to schedule the upgrade.
- All documents and data should be backed up prior to re-imaging, or Arts Computing Help Desk staff can help, but you must supply the backup media.
- The process will take at least a day, barring issues and workload, to complete.
- Staff will help users navigate Windows 10 and make sure all software and backed up documents and data are restored.
There is Windows 10 help on LinkedIn Learning by searching for “Windows 10 training”.