Department of Biology
200 University Ave. W
Canada N2L 3G1
Phone: (519) 888-4567 ext. 32569
Fax: (519) 746-0614
Dr. Dupont's focus is on undergraduate teaching in the fields of molecular biology and microbiology
Teaching Fellow, Undergraduate Advisor (Biology)
Office: Biology 1 278
Phone: 519-888-4567, ext. 37804
- Molecular biology
Dr. Dupont joined the Department of Biology in 2003 as a full-time lecturer. Her focus is on undergraduate teaching and she has several publications on the use of podcasts to enhance student learning. Her previous research (1999–2002) at the Institute of Veterinary, Animal and Biomedical Sciences, Massey University, New Zealand, focused on development of a defined subunit vaccine against Johne’s disease, an intestinal chronic wasting disease in many animal species caused by the bacterium Mycobacterium avium subspecies paratuberculosis. Her postdoctoral research (2002-2003) at the Ontario Veterinary College, Department of Pathobiology, University of Guelph, focused on development of a vaccine against Rhodococcus equi infection in foals. R. equi is a pathogen responsible for economically significant losses to the horse racing industry.
Christine Dupont teaches numerous undergraduate courses. Course offerings have included
- BIOL 139 & 239 Genetics
- BIOL 342 Molecular Biotechnology 1
- BIOL 444 Microorganisms and Disease/Bacterial Pathogenesis
- BIOL 442 Virology
Recent publications include
Holbrook, J., and C. Dupont. 2011. Enhanced Podcasts and Class Attendance – Does Year in Program Matter? Bioscience Education Journal of Science Education and Technology. 20:233-245.
- Holbrook, J., and C. Dupont. 2010. Making the Decision to Provide Enhanced Podcasts to Post-secondary Science Students. Journal of Sci Edu and Technol (JOST).
- Pei, Y., Dupont, C., Sydor, T., Haas, A., Prescott, J.F. (2006). Cholesterol oxidase (ChoE) is not important in the virulence of Rhodococcus equi. Veterinary Microbiology Dec 20; 118(3-4):240–246. Epub 2006 Aug 14.
- Rigden, R.C., Jandhyala, D.M., Dupont, C., Crosbie-Caird, D., Lopez-Villalobos, N., Maeda, N., Giquel, B., Murray, A. (2006). Humoral and cellular immune responses in sheep immunised with a 22 kilodalton exported protein of Mycobacterium avium subspecies paratuberculosis. Journal of Medical Microbiology Journal of Medical Microbiology 55 (Pt 12):1735–1740.
- Wall, D.M., Duffy, P.S., Dupont, C., Prescott, J.F., Meijer, W.G. (2005). Isocitrate lyase activity is required for virulence of the intracellular pathogen Rhodococcus equi. Infection and Immunity 73:6736–6741.
Awards and Distinctions
- 2014 Outstanding performance award
- 2013 Excellence in Science Teaching Award
- 2011 Outstanding performance award
Professional Associations and Service
- Faculty of Science Undergraduate Committee
- Science Faculty Council
- DACA Committee
- University Committee on Student Appeals
- Department of Biology Teaching Fellow
- 2002 PhD Pathobiology, Massey University, New Zealand
- 1990 BEd University of Windsor
- 1988 MSc Microbiology, University of Guelph
- 1984 BSc Microbiology, University of Guelph