Eric Fillion carries out research in catalysis, synthetic organic and organometallic chemistry. Eric's group has developed several highly creative approaches to a variety of chemical structures, many of which are the scaffolds for medicinal agents and/or complex natural products.
- Organometallic chemistry
- Synthetic chemistry
- Methodology development
- Mechanistic studies
Eric’s research program centers on the design, synthesis, and study of novel hypercoordinated and cationic main group organometallic compounds. These organometallic compounds serve as reagents in Lewis acid-catalyzed transformations and as catalysts in the development of new synthetic methods. A better understanding of hypercoordinated and cationic main group organometallic compounds will lead to the discovery of novel reactivity that could be applied to organic catalysis and provide new tools to organic chemists.
Eric Fillion teaches both undergraduate and graduate courses. Course offerings have included topics in organic chemistry, heterocyclic chemistry, organometallics, and natural products chemistry.
Recent publications include
- B(C6F5)3-Catalyzed Transfer 1,4-Hydrostannylation of a,b-Unsaturated Carbonyls by the Use of iPr-Tricarbastannatrane; Eric Fillion, Azadeh Kavoosi, Kevin Nguyen, Christian Ieritano Chem. Commun. 2016, 52, 12813-12816.
- Changes in Tricarbastannatrane Transannular N–Sn Bonding Upon Complexation Reveal Lewis Base Donicities; Petar Simidzija, Michael J. Lecours, Rick A. Marta, Vincent Steinmetz, Terry B. McMahon, Eric Fillion, W. Scott Hopkins Inorg. Chem. 2016, 55, 9579-9585.
- Facile Hydrogenolysis of Csp3-Csp3 sbonds; Eric Fillion, Eric Beaton, Yen Nguyen, Ashraf Wilsily, Ganna Bondarenko, Jérôme Jacq Adv. Synth. Catal. 2016, 358, 3422-3434.
- Synthesis and Characterization of Tricarbastannatranes and Their Reactivity in B(C6F5)3-Promoted Conjugate Additions; Azadeh Kavoosi, Eric Fillion Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2015, 54, 5488-5492; Angew. Chem. 2015, 127, 5578-5582.
Awards and Distinctions
- CSC Merck Frosst Centre for Therapeutic Research Award, 2011
- 2006 Early Researcher Award, Government of Ontario, Ministry of Research and Innovation, 2006
- Recipient of the 2005 AstraZeneca Award in Chemistry, AstraZeneca Canada, 2005
- CNC/IUPAC Travel Award 2004, ICOS-15, Nagoya, Japan, 2004
- Boehringer Ingelheim Young Investigator Award for Organic Chemistry 2003
- Ichikizaki Fund for Young Chemists (CSC Travel Award), OMCOS-11, Taipei, Taiwan, 2001
- Research Corporation Research Innovation Award, 2000
Professional Associations and Service
- Member of the American Chemical Society
- Chemistry Department Safety Committee, Research Fellow, and Science P/T Committee
- Membership on the John Charles Polanyi Prizes Selection Committee (OCGS, Council of Ontario Universities), 2014-16
- NSERC, Member of the NSERC Chemistry Evaluation Group (EG 1504 - Chemistry), 2012-16
- Member of the Selection Committee, Boehringer Ingelheim Research Excellence Award 2014, Canadian Society for Chemistry (CSC)
- Member of the Selection Committee, Canadian Association for Graduate Studies (CAGS) – 2014 UMI Dissertation Prize in Engineering, Medical Sciences and Natural Sciences, 2014
1997 Ph.D., Organic Chemistry, University of Toronto
1993 M.Sc., Organic Chemistry, Université de Montréal
1990 B.Sc., Biochemistry, Université de Sherbrooke