To apply as a teaching assistant (TA) in the Department of Chemistry, please submit an online application for each term(s) you are interested in.
- Undergraduate TA Application Form - Winter 2024: No longer accepting applications for Winter 2024 term.
- Undergraduate TA Application Form - Spring 2024: Deadline April 15, 2024.
- Undergraduate TA Application Form - Fall 2024: Deadline August 15, 2024.
Teaching Assistant Workshop
The Department of Chemistry holds a Teaching Assistant Workshop at the beginning of the term for all graduate and undergraduate student TAs. Completion of the Teaching Assistant Workshop is mandatory for all future TA assignments in the Department of Chemistry. You will only need to attend the Teaching Assistant Workshop once, and you will receive a certificate of attendance that you will need to keep as proof of attendance for any future assignments.
Some of the benefits of attending this workshop are to:
- Enhance your teaching strategies to be a successful teaching assistant.
- Develop your interpersonal, leadership, and coordination skills.
- Help make your experience as a teaching assistant more enjoyable and rewarding.
Please note: Attendance at the Teaching Assistant Workshop is restricted to those who have been chosen for a TA assignment.
Undergraduate student requirements for a teaching assistantship
Students applying for a TA position must have previously taken the course they wish to TA or have the equivalent TA experience. Students must be in good academic standing in the term prior to the start of the teaching assistantship.
If you are chosen to TA and you have not previously attended the Teaching Assistant Workshop, you must attend the next workshop before you can begin your teaching assistantship. This workshop is mandatory to hold a TA position.
All TAs must complete online safety training prior to the start of their TA term. The following online safety training must be completed and proof of such supplied to your TA supervisor:
- WHMIS 2015 for Staff
- General Lab Safety
- Staff Safety Orientation
- Supervisor Safety Awareness
- Workplace Violence Awareness
If required, you may be asked to complete additional safety training.
Confirmation of a TA position
If you have been chosen to receive an offer for a TA position, you will be contacted by email before the start of the term.
Please note: Only those who are chosen for a TA position will be contacted.