Marcel Nooijen carries out research in theoretical chemistry. His goal is to develop accurate wave function based electronic structure methods that are applicable to general open-shell systems, in particular transition metal compounds.
Marcel has been elected to the International Academy of Quantum Molecular Sciences (IAQMS) in 2016 for his work in theoretical chemistry.
- Electronic Structure Theory
- Vibronic coupling and non-adiabatic nuclear dynamics
- Simulation of vibronic spectroscopy
- Coupled Cluster Theory for excited states
- Multireference methods in transition metal chemistry
Marcel Nooijen's long term goal is to develop accurate wave function based electronic structure methods that are applicable to general open-shell systems, in particular transition metal compounds. The electronic structure technique should be coupled to an efficient scheme to describe non-adiabatic nuclear dynamics such that one can make direct comparisons with experimental results. The ideal electronic structure methodology would be a local, multireference coupled cluster method, combined with an efficient explicit correlation (r12) technique, and including important relativistic effects. Nuclear dynamics would be based on vibronic model Hamiltonians obtained from a suitable diabatization of the electronic states.
Marcel Nooijen teaches both undergraduate and graduate courses. Course offerings have included topics in quantum mechanics, computational chemistry, thermodynamics, statistical mechanics and chemical kinetics.
Recent publications include
- Wu, Siyuan Steffen, Johnathan Hu, Piaoyu Nooijen, Marcel. (2018). Multireference equation of motion coupled cluster benchmark study of magnetic model systems. Computational and Theoretical Chemistry. 1130: 160-174.
- Lutz, Jesse J Nooijen, Marcel Perera, Ajith Bartlett, Rodney J. (2018). Reference dependence of the twodeterminant coupled-cluster method for triplet and open-shell singlet states of biradical molecules. The Journal of chemical physics. 148(16): 164102.
- Dimitrios Manganas Joanna Kowalska Marcel Nooijen Serena DeBeer Frank Neese. (2018). Comparisonof Multireference Ab initio Wavefunction Methodologies for X-Ray AbsorptionEdges: A Case study on [Fe(II/ III)Cl4]2-/1- molecules. The Journal of Chemical Physics.
- Raymond, Neil* Iouchtchenko, Dmitri Roy, Pierre-Nicholas Nooijen, Marcel. (2018). A path integral methodology for obtaining thermodynamic properties of nonadiabatic systems using Gaussian mixture distributions. J. Chem. Phys.148(19): 94110.
- Wu, Siyuan* Nooijen, Marcel. (2018). Configurational coupled cluster approach with applications to magnetic model systems. Chemical Physics Letters. 700: 64-73.
Awards and Distinctions
- Tom Ziegler Award, Canadian Society for Chemistry, 2017
- Elected as member of International Academy of Quantum Molecular Sciences 2016
- Medal of International Academy of Quantum Molecular Sciences, 2003
Professional Associations and Service
- Member, International Academy of Quantum Molecular Science, 2016-now
- Chemistry Awards Committee, 2015-16
- Arts Faculty Council, 2015-16
- Science Faculty Council, 2010-12, 2014-15
- Executive Committee, 2009-10
- Associate editor for the International Journal of Quantum Chemistry, 2005-09
The following news story features Marcel Nooijen's research:
1992 Graduate student, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands
1987 Undergraduate, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands
1985 Undergraduate, Technical University of Eindhoven, Netherlands