Mario Gauthier's research is focused on the investigation of a class of branched macromolecules called arborescent polymers.
His work includes the development of applications in a broad range of areas including microencapsulation, viscosity control additives, smart (pH-sensitive) gels, and catalyst supports.
- Anionic polymerization: arborescent and other graft polymers; telechelic polymers; block copolymers
- “Living” free-radical polymerization reactions
- Emulsion polymerization
- Ion-containing polymers: ionomers; polyelectrolytes
- Copolymerization and post-polymerization modification reactions
- Polymer characterization: applications of laser light scattering techniques; size-exclusion chromatography
- Rheological properties and mechanical testing
- Solution properties
Mario Gauthier's research efforts are currently focused on the synthesis and physical characterization of a new class of branched macromolecules, called arborescent polymers. The term arborescent (from the latin arbor = tree) refers to the tree-like or dendritic structure of the molecules. These compounds are obtained in successive reaction cycles of polymerization and grafting. The highly branched structure of arborescent polymers leads to very unusual properties in solution, in the solid state and in the molten state, making them interesting for many specialty applications.
Mario Gauthier teaches both undergraduate and graduate courses. Course offerings have included topics in polymers and polymerization, and macromolecular science.
Recent publications include
- Boni BO, Lamboni L, Souho T, Gauthier M, Yang G. Immunomodulation and cellular response to biomaterials: the overriding role of neutrophils in healing. Materials Horizons. 2019.
- Kwok CY, Pang Q, Worku AF, Liang X, Gauthier M, Nazar LF. Impact of the Mechanical Properties of a Functionalized Cross-linked Binder on the Longevity of Li-S Batteries. ACS applied materials & interfaces. 2019 May 29.
- Gauthier M, Aridi T. Synthesis of arborescent polystyrene by “click” grafting. Journal of Polymer Science Part A: Polymer Chemistry. 2019 Aug 15;57(16):1730-40.
- Gury L, Gauthier M, Cloitre M, Vlassopoulos D. Colloidal Jamming in Multiarm Star Polymer Melts. Macromolecules. 2019 Jun 14.
- Deepak VD, Mahmud I, Gauthier M. Synthesis of carboxylated derivatives of poly (isobutylene-co-isoprene) by azide–alkyne “click” chemistry. Polymer Journal. 2019 Mar;51(3):327.
- Parisi D, Truzzolillo D, Deepak VD, Gauthier M, Vlassopoulos D. Transition from confined to bulk dynamics in symmetric star-linear polymer mixtures. arXiv preprint arXiv:1902.03643. 2019 Feb 10.
- D. Kim, R. Amos, M. Gauthier, J. Duhamel. Applications of Pyrene Fluorescence to Characterization of Hydrophobically Modified Starch Nanoparticles. Langmuir 2018, 34(29), 8611-8621.
- L. Huang, L. Xiao, A. Jung Poudel, J. Li, P. Zhou, M. Gauthier, H. Liu, Z. Wu, G. Yang. Porous Chitosan Microspheres as Microcarriers for 3D Cell Culture. Carbohydrate Polymers 2018, 202, 611-620.
- T. Hall, G. Whitton, R. Casier, M. Gauthier, J. Duhamel. Arborescent Poly(L-glutamic acid)s as Standards to Study the Dense Interior of Polypeptide Mesoglobules by Pyrene Excimer Fluorescence. Macromolecules 2018, 51(20), 7914-7923.
- V. D. Deepak, I. Mahmud, M. Gauthier. Synthesis of Carboxylated Derivatives of Poly(isobutylene-co-isoprene) by Azide-alkyne "Click" Chemistry. Polym. J. (Tokyo) 2018, Ahead of Print. DOI: 10.1038/s41428-018-0130-y.
- Vo Thu An Nguyen 1,2,3, Marie-Claire De Pauw-Gillet, Mario Gauthier, Olivier Sandre. Magnetic Polyion Complex Micelles for Cell Toxicity Induced by Radiofrequency Magnetic Field Hyperthermia. Nanomaterials 2018, 8, 1014; doi:10.3390/nano8121014.
- J. J. Grandy, V. Singh, M. Lashgari, M. Gauthier, J. Pawliszyn. Development of a Hydrophilic Lipophilic Balanced Thin Film Solid Phase Microextraction Device for Balanced Determination of Volatile Organic Compounds. Anal. Chem. 2018, 90(23), 14072-14080.
- Gauthier, M.; Li, J.; Parent, S. R.; Teertstra, S. J. Method for Synthesis of Graft Polymers. U.S. Patent No. 6,407,169 Applied December 13, 2000; Granted June 18, 2002 (10 pp)
- Siegers, C.; Adkinson, D. K.; Davidson, G. J. E.; Ferrari, L.; Gauthier, M. Azide-functional Polymers and Azidation Processes for Producing Azide-functional Polymers. PCT Int. Appl. (2013), WO 2013091086 A1 20130627 (26 pp).
- Siegers, C.; Adkinson, D. K.; Davidson, G. J. E.; Ferrari, L.; Gauthier, M. Process for Preparing Cured Azidated Elastomers. PCT Int. Appl. (2013), WO 2013091084 A1 20130627 (29 pp).
Awards and Distinctions
- Hubei Province High-end Foreign Experts Program Scholar, 2012-2017
- Chutian Scholars Program, WUST, 2016-2019
- Outstanding Performance Award, 2014
University of Waterloo Affiliations
- Member of the Waterloo Institute for Nanotechnology
- Member of the Institute for Polymer Research
Professional Associations and Service
- Associate Chair, Graduate Studies and Research, 2015-present
- Graduate Advisory Committee, 2012-present
- (GWC)2 Coordinating Committee, 2012-present
- Executive Committee, 2012-present
- Graduate Awards Committee, 2012-present
- Work Term Report Coordinator, 2004-present
- Graduate Officer, 2012-2014
1989 PhD Chemistry, McGill University
1984 BSc Chemistry, McGill University