Richard Oakley's research work spans the three-way interface between chemistry, physics and materials science. He designs, synthesizes and characterizes the molecular and solid state properties of neutral radicals, radical ions and biradicals, with the long term goal of generating processable molecular materials exhibiting unusual magnetic, conductive and/or optical properties.
Richard received the E.W.R. Steacie Award from the Canadian Society for Chemistry in 2016 and is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada.
- Stable radical materials
- Molecular magnetism
- Molecular conductivity
- Chemical, electrochemical and spectroscopic properties of open shell organic and inorganic heterocycles
- Neutral radicals, radical ions and biradicals as building blocks for functional molecular conductive and magnetic materials
- Methodology: inorganic, organic and organometallic synthesis, NMR, EPR, UV-Vis and FTIR spectroscopy; electrochemistry; single crystal and powder X-ray crystallography; variable temperature conductivity and magnetic susceptibility measurements; high pressure effects on the structure and properties of molecular solids. Semi-empirical and density functional theory quantum calculations on molecules and molecular solids.
Recent publications include
N. J. Yutronkie, D. Bates, P. A. Dube, S. M. Winter, C. M. Robertson, J. L. Brusso and R. T. Oakley. “Three-Dimensional Magnetic Exchange Networks in Trigonal Bisdithiazolyl Radicals.” Inorg. Chem. 58, 419-427 (2019).
D. Bates, C. M. Robertson, A. A. Leitch, P. A. Dube and R. T. Oakley. “Magnetic Bistability in Naphtho-1,3,2-dithiazolyl: Solid State Interconversion of a Thiazyl pi-Radical and its N-N sigma-Bonded Dimer.” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 140, 3846-3849 (2018).
A. Mailman, A. A. Leitch, W. Yong, E. Steven, S. M. Winter, R. C. M. Claridge, A. Assoud, J. S. Tse, S. Desgreniers, R. A. Secco and R. T. Oakley. "The Power of Packing: Metallization of an Organic Semiconductor.” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 139, 2180-2183 (2017).
A. Mailman, J. W. L. Wong, S. M. Winter, R. C. M. Claridge, C. M. Robertson, A. Assoud, W. Yong, E. Steven, P. A. Dube, J. S. Tse, S. Desgreniers, R. A. Secco and R. T. Oakley. “Fine Tuning the Performance of Multiorbital Radical Conductors by Substituent Effects.” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 139, 1625-1635 (2017).
K. Lekin, K. Ogata, A. Maclean, A. Mailman, S. M. Winter, A. Assoud, M. Mito, J. S. Tse, S. Desgreniers, N. Hirao, P. A. Dube and R. T. Oakley. “Pushing Tc to 27.5 K in a Heavy Atom Radical Ferromagnet.” Chem. Commun. 52, 13877-13880 (2016).
L. Postulka, S. M. Winter, A. G. Mihailov, A. Mailman, A. Assoud, C. M. Robertson, B. Wolf, M. Lang and R. T. Oakley. “Spin Frustration in an Organic Radical Ion Salt based on a Kagome-Coupled Chain Structure.” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 138, 10738-10741 (2016).
Please see Richard Oakley's Google Scholar profile for a current list of his peer-reviewed articles.
Awards and Distinctions
- E.W.R Steacie Award (CSC), 2016
- Fellow, Royal Society of Canada (FRSC), 2009
- Killam Research Fellowship (Canada Council), 2006-08
- Pure or Applied Inorganic Chemistry Award (CSC), 2001
- Alcan Lecture Award (CSC), 1993
- Fellow, Chemical Institute of Canada (FCIC), 1993
- Akron Lecture Award (ACS), 1991
- NSERC University Research Fellowship,1980-87
- NSERC Post-Doctoral Fellowship,1976-78
- Honorary Ramsay Memorial Fellowship, 1976-78
- NRC/NSERC Post-Graduate Scholarship, 1969-70 and 1973-76
- B.C. Sugar Refining Co. Scholarship, 1967-68
- B.C. Government Scholarship, 1967-69
Professional Associations and Service
Member, Selection Committee, CSC Pure or Applied Inorganic Chemistry Award, 2011
Vice-Chair, Pacifichem 2005 Congress Organizing Committee, 2000-2006
Member and Chair, Polanyi Prize Selection Committee, 2001-2003
Chair, 34th Ontario Inorganic Discussion Weekend, 2001
Member and Vice-Chair, Pacifichem 2000 Congress Organizing Committee, 1996-2001
Author, CSC Hermes Project Report, 1996-1998
Chair, 78th CSC Conference and Exhibition, 1993-1996
Member, Organizing Committee, IRIS VII Conference, 1993-94
Member, CSC ALCAN Award Selection Committee, 1993-95
Co-author, NSERC Re-allocation Report on Chemistry, 1994
Member and Chair, NSERC Grant Selection Committee 024, 1990-94
Cooperant in Colombia, Canadian University Services Overseas (CUSO), 1970-72
The following news stories have featured Richard Oakley's research:
December 14, 2015: Professor Richard Oakley wins the 2016 E.W.R. Steacie Award
1976 Ph.D. Chemistry, University of British Columbia, BC
1970 M.Sc. Chemistry, University of British Columbia, BC
1969 B.Sc. Chemistry, University of British Columbia, BC