Steven Forsey's interests are in chemical education. He teaches a variety of organic chemistry courses to Chemistry, Science, Chemical Engineering, Nanotechnology and distance education students. He explores different teaching techniques and try new technologies to enhance the learning experience of students.
He is the main author and head editor of an online interactive organic textbook.
Office: C2 391
Phone: 519-888-4567, ext. 32477
- Chemical education
- Organic chemistry
Steven is the lead author and editor of an online interactive textbook which incorporates into the text, videos explaining concepts, questions in which students get immediate feedback to their answers and videos that explain the steps needed to solve questions. He believes that technology can create excitement and engagement for students inside and outside the classroom.
He has also developed online experiment specific instructional videos and quizzes for undergraduate labs. Students view videos before entering the lab that demonstrate the use of equipment and specific procedures that they will encounter once they are in the lab.
Steven Forsey's recent course offerings have included
- CHEM 123: Chemical Reaction, Equilibria and Kinetics
- CHEM 262: Organic Chemistry for Engineering
- CHEM 266 and CEL: Basic Organic Chemistry 1
- CHEM 267 and CEL: Basic Organic Chemistry 2
- CHEM 363 CEL: Organic Process Chemistry
- CHEM 404: Physicochemical Aspects of Natural Waters
- NE 122: Organic Chemistry for Nanotechnology
- SCI 227: Chemistry in Society
Awards and Distinctions
- 2017 Top Hat Achievement Award
- 2013 Outstanding Performance Award
University of Waterloo Affiliations
Science Teaching Fellow for the Department of Chemistry
- Forsey, Steven Philip, et al. (2015) Organic Chemistry I & II: A Live Interactive Textbook. 1st ed. Toronto, Ontario: Top Hat. https://tophat.com/.
- Al-Shamsi. M. A., Thomson N. R, Forsey, S. P., 2013. Iron based bimetallic nanoparticles to activate peroxygens. Chemical Engineering Journal 232, 555-563.
- Forsey, S. P., Thomson N. R., Barker J. F., 2010. Oxidation kinetics of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons by permanganate. Chemosphere 79, 628–636.
The following YouTube video features Steven Forsey's use of technology in the classroom:
June 21, 2011: Steven Forsey on Top Hat Monocle
- 2004 Ph.D. Earth Sciences Department, University of Waterloo
- 1988 M.Sc., University of Waterloo
- 1984 B.Sc. Honours Chemistry, University of Waterloo