Steven Forsey's interests are in chemical education. He teaches a variety of organic chemistry courses to Chemistry, Science, Chemical Engineering, Nanotechnology and distance education students. He explores different teaching techniques and try new technologies to enhance the learning experience of students.
He is the main author and head editor of an online interactive organic textbook.
Office: C2 391
Phone: 519-888-4567, ext. 32477
- Chemical education
- Organic chemistry
Steven is the lead author and editor of an online interactive textbook which incorporates into the text, videos explaining concepts, questions in which students get immediate feedback to their answers and videos that explain the steps needed to solve questions. He believes that technology can create excitement and engagement for students inside and outside the classroom.
He has also developed online experiment specific instructional videos and quizzes for undergraduate labs. Students view videos before entering the lab that demonstrate the use of equipment and specific procedures that they will encounter once they are in the lab.
Steven Forsey's recent course offerings have included
CHEM 262: Introductory Organic Chemistry for Chemical Engineers
CHEM 266: Basic Organic Chemistry 1
CHEM 266 CEL Basic Organic Chemistry 1
CHEM 267: Basic Organic Chemistry 2
CHEM 267 CEL: Basic Organic Chemistry 2
CHEM 363: Organic Process Chemistry
Awards and Distinctions
- 2017 Top Hat Achievement Award
- 2013 Excellence in Science Teaching Award
- 2013 and 2010 Faculty of Science Outstanding Performance Award
University of Waterloo Affiliations
Science Teaching Fellow for the Department of Chemistry
- Forsey, Steven Philip, et al. (2015) Organic Chemistry I & II: A Live Interactive Textbook. 1st ed. Toronto, Ontario: Top Hat. https://tophat.com/.
- Al-Shamsi. M. A., Thomson N. R, Forsey, S. P., 2013. Iron based bimetallic nanoparticles to activate peroxygens. Chemical Engineering Journal 232, 555-563.
- Forsey, S. P., Thomson N. R., Barker J. F., 2010. Oxidation kinetics of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons by permanganate. Chemosphere 79, 628–636.
The following YouTube video features Steven Forsey's use of technology in the classroom:
June 21, 2011: Steven Forsey on Top Hat Monocle
April 10, 2020: Kritik peer-grading platform review by Steve Forsey.
Organic Chemistry I & II - An interactive Top Hat Textbook (Lead author: Steve Forsey)
- 2004 Ph.D. Earth Sciences Department, University of Waterloo
- 1988 M.Sc., University of Waterloo
- 1984 B.Sc. Honours Chemistry, University of Waterloo