From adapting passive gas sampling in polluted soils to speeding up extractions of chemicals from contaminated rock, Tadeusz Górecki has made a career of analyzing some of nature’s most complex samples. He is best known though for his patented improvements to two-dimensional chromatography, a much more sensitive, two-step version of gas chromatography that allows researchers to fully resolve analyte peaks in messy environmental and biological samples.
Tadeusz Górecki is the recipient of the 2016 Andrzej Waksmundzki Medal, awarded by the Committee on Analytical Chemistry of the Polish Academy of Sciences.
- Comprehensive two-dimensional gas chromatography (GCxGC)
- High performance liquid chromatography (HPLC)
- Passive sampling
- Enhanced extraction techniques
- Indoor air quality analysis
- Environmental analysis
- Pyrolysis GC/MS
Tadeusz Górecki's research focuses on analytical processes. Recent developments include the development of several new modulators for comprehensive two-dimensional gas chromatography (GC×GC), studies on the fundamental aspects of GC×GC, development of efficient, green methods for high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC), a passive sampling method that allows sampler calibration to be carried out based on the physico-chemical properties of the analytes, and extraction methods for volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in low-permeability matrices that dramatically reduce the extraction time.
Tadeusz Górecki teaches both undergraduate and graduate courses. Course offerings have included topics in analytical chemistry, experimental design and chemometrics, and physico-chemical aspects of natural waters.
Recent publications include
- Aly, A.A. and Górecki, T. "Green Chromatography and Related Techniques," Płotka-Wasylka, Justyna, and Jacek Namieśnik, eds. Green Analytical Chemistry: Past, Present and Perspectives. Springer, 2019.
- Salim, Faten, Marios Ioannidis, Alexander Penlidis, and Tadeusz Górecki. "Modelling permeation passive sampling: intra-particle resistance to mass transfer and comprehensive sensitivity analysis." Environmental Science: Processes & Impacts 21, no. 3 (2019): 469-484.
- Salim, Faten, and Tadeusz Górecki. "Theory and modelling approaches to passive sampling." Environmental Science: Processes & Impacts 21, no. 10 (2019): 1618-1641.
- Salim, Faten, Tadeusz Górecki, and Marios Ioannidis. "New applications of the mathematical model of a permeation passive sampler: prediction of the effective uptake rate and storage stability." Environmental Science: Processes & Impacts 21, no. 1 (2019): 113-123.
- A. Muscalu, T. Górecki, “Comprehensive Two-Dimensional Gas Chromatography in Environmental Analysis”, TrAC – Trends in Analytical Chemistry, 106 (2018) 225-245.
- F. Salim, M. Ioannidis, T. Górecki, “Experimentally Validated Mathematical Model of Analyte Uptake by Permeation Passive Samplers”, Environmental Science: Processes and Impacts, 19 (2017), 1363- 1373.
- H.-Y. Chow, T. Górecki, „Temperature Programming of the Second Dimension in Comprehensive Two-Dimensional Gas Chromatography”, Analytical Chemistry, 89 (16) (2017), 8207–8211.
- G. Ntlhokwe, A.G.J. Tredoux, T. Górecki, M. Edwards, J. Vestner, M. Muller, L. Erasmus, “Analysis of honeybush tea (Cyclopia spp.) volatiles by comprehensive two-dimensional gas chromatography using a single-stage thermal modulator”, Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, 409(17) (2017), 4127–4138.
- J. Poerschmann, T. Górecki, “Molecular Level-based Analysis of Organosolv Wastewater”, Current Chromatography, 4(2) (2017), 140-155. (DOI: 10.2174/2213240604666170623125856)
- A.L. Luiz, B. Perlatti, F.A. Marques, E. Rodrigues-Filho, E.N. Costa, Z.A. Ribeiro, W.I. Eduardo, A.L. Boiça-Júnior, M. Imatomi, T. Górecki, M.R. Forim “Efficacy of botanical extracts from Brazilian savannah against Diabrotica speciose, and associated bacteria”, Ecological Research, 32(3) (2017), 435–444.
Recent patents include
- T. Górecki, M. Edwards, “Material comprising thermally modified polymeric organosilicon, method for preparing said material and the uses thereof”, Patent Application filed June 3, 2016.
- T.A. McAlary, H. Groenevelt, S. Seethapathy, T. Górecki, “Low-uptake Waterloo Membrane Sampler for quantitative passive soil vapor concentration measurement”, US Patent no. 9399912, issued July 26, 2016.
- T. Górecki, J. Poerschmann, “System for in-column pyrolysis”, German Patent DE 101 11 854.6, granted October 18, 2001.
Awards and Distinctions
- GCxGC Lifetime Achievement Award, 2017
- Andrzej Waksmundzki Medal from the Polish Academy of Sciences, 2016
- Best poster award, 37th International Symposium on Chromatography and 10th GCxGC Symposium, Palm Springs, CA, USA, May 12-16, 2013
- Best poster award, 36th International Symposium on Chromatography and 9th GCxGC Symposium, Riva del Garda, Italy, May 27-June 1, 2012
- 2011 Outstanding Performance Award
- Professor of Chemical Sciences, degree conferred by the President of the Republic of Poland, 2009
- Best poster award, Dalian International Symposia and Exhibition on Chromatography, Dalian, China, June 4-7, 2007
- Three-month fellowship of the European Community, Ecole Nationale Superiéure de Chimie, Toulouse, France, 1993
- Seven Awards of the President of the Technical University of Gdansk for outstanding research, 1982-1993
- Award of the Minister of Education of Poland for outstanding Ph.D. Thesis, 1986
- Medal of the Technical University of Gdansk, 1981
University of Waterloo Affiliations
- Member of the Water Institute
Professional Associations and Service
- Science Faculty Council, 2006-present
- Undergraduate Curriculum Committee, 2014-present
- Member of University Appointments Review Committee, 2013-present
- Cooperative Education Council, 2006-2016
- Science Undergraduate Studies Committee, 2006-2016
- Faculty of Arts task force for the Master of Public Service program, 2008-2010
- Executive Committee, 2008-2009
- Editorial boards
- Regional Editor, Current Chromatography
- Editorial Board Member, Separations (MDPI)
The following news stoy features Tadeusz Górecki's research:
August 10, 2016: Tadeusz Górecki awarded Polish Academy of Sciences medal
1986 PhD. Technical University of Gdansk, Poland
1981 MSc, Engineer, Technical University of Gdansk, Poland