Bill Power carries out research in physical chemistry. His research goals are to develop and apply methods to characterize and compare the structure of compounds using Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) spectroscopy.
He is the Chair of the Department of Chemistry and the recipient of the Excellence in Science Teaching Award in 2015.
- Physical chemistry
- Solid state
- Nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy
- Multinuclear, gas phase, high-resolution and solid-state NMR
- Applications of NMR to combinatorial chemistry and solid-phase synthesis
- Transition metal NMR of bioinorganic systems
- Chemical shielding and nuclear quadrupolar coupling of metal sites in complex materials
- Calculations of NMR chemical shielding and quadrupolar coupling tensors
Recent course offerings have included
- Physical and Chemical Properties of Matter
- Chemical Reactions, Equilibria and Kinetics
- Introductory Chemical Thermodynamics
- Chemical Kinetics
- NMR Spectroscopy
- Kai Cao, Brian Tsang, Yibo Liu, Daniel Chelladural, William P. Power and Xiaosong Wang. Synthesis, cyclization and migration insertion oligomerization of CpFe(CO)2(CH2)3PPh2 in solution. Organometallics, 2014, 33, 531-539.
- Samuel B. Andrey, Michael L. Chan and William P. Power. HRMAS 1H NMR Conformational Study of the Resin-Bound Amyloid-Forming Peptide GNNQQNY from the Yeast Prion Sup35. J. Phys. Chem. A, 2010, 114, 3457-3465.
- Kamal H. Mroue and William P. Power. High-Field Solid-State 67Zn NMR Spectroscopy of Several Zinc-Amino Acid Complexes. J. Phys. Chem. A, 2010, 114, 324-335.
- K. H. Mroue, A. H. M. Emwas and W.P. Power. Solid-State Aluminium-27 NMR Study of Three Aluminium-Centred Dyes. Can. J. Chem., 2010, 88, 111-123.
Timothy R. Ramadhar, Fernando Amador, Michael J. T. Ditty and William P. Power. Inverse H-C ex situ HRMAS NMR Experiments for Solid-Phase Peptide Synthesis. Magn. Reson. Chem., 2007, 46, 30-35.
Awards and Distinctions
- Excellence in Science Teaching Award, 2015
- Chem Club “Chem Prof of the Year”, 2004
- Premier's Research Excellence Award, 1999
- Inaugural Gudrun and Hari Sharma Teaching Award, 1996
- NSERC Postdoctoral Fellowship, 1991-93
- NSERC (PGSA, PGSB), I.W. Killam and W.C. Sumner Graduate Scholarships, 1988-91
- NSERC Undergraduate Summer Research Assistant, 1987
- NSERC Undergraduate Summer Research Assistant, 1986
University of Waterloo Affiliations
- Associate faculty member of the Institute for Quantum Computing
- Member of the Institute of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
Professional Associations and Service
- Chair of Chemistry, 2014-present
- Science Admin Committee, 2014-15
- Faculty Representative on Board of Governors, 2013-15
- Science Space Committee, 2012-15
- Science Representative on University Senate, 2012-15
- Member, Editorial Advisory Board, Magn. Reson. Chem., 1997-2015
- Provost’s Working Group on Faculty Salary Anomalies, 2015
- Associate Dean of Science, Graduate Studies, 2012-14
- Senate Graduate and Research Council, 2012-14
- Graduate Operations Committee, 2012-14
- Chem 794 Coordinator, 2011
- Chemistry Magic Show, Science Open House, 2011
- Associate Dean of Science, Research, 2008-09
- Conference Chair, Graduate Students Research Conference, 2009
- Member, WIHIR Review Committee, 2009
- Chair, Awards Committee, 2009
April 19, 2015: Bill Power wins Excellence in Science Teaching Award
1992 Ph.D., Dalhousie University, NS
1988 B.Sc. Chemistry, Dalhousie University, NS