Department of Chemistry
200 University Ave. W
Canada N2L 3G1
Phone: (519) 888-4567 ext 32129
Location: PHY 2021
Phone: 519-888-4567 x37708
Marcel Nooijen carries out research in theoretical chemistry. His long-term goal is to develop accurate wave function based electronic structure methods that are applicable to general open-shell systems, in particular transition metal compounds. The electronic structure technique should be coupled to an efficient scheme to describe non-adiabatic nuclear dynamics such that one can make direct comparisons with experimental results. The ideal electronic structure methodology would be a local, multireference coupled cluster method, combined with an efficient explicit correlation (r12) technique, and including important relativistic effects. Nuclear dynamics would be based on vibronic model Hamiltonians obtained from a suitable diabatization of the electronic states.
- Electronic Structure Theory
- Vibronic coupling and non-adiabatic nuclear dynamics
- Simulation of vibronic spectroscopy
- Coupled Cluster Theory for excited states
- Multireference methods in transition metal chemistry
- Investigation of efficient representation Coulomb Interactions
- 1992 Doctorate Chemistry, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands
- 1987 Bachelor's equivalent Chemistry, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Netherlands
- 1985 Undergraduate, Technical University of Eindhoven, Netherlands
- 2017 Tom Ziegler Award, Canadian Society for Chemistry
- 2016 Elected as member of International Academy of Quantum Molecular Sciences
- 2003 Medal of International Academy of Quantum Molecular Sciences
- Promotion and Tenure Committee, 2016-20
- Chemistry Awards Committee, 2015-16
- Arts Faculty Council, 2015-16
- Science Faculty Council, 2010-12, 2014-15
- Executive Committee, 2009-10, 2020-21
- Associate editor for the International Journal of Quantum Chemistry, 2005-09
- Member, International Academy of Quantum Molecular Science, 2016-now
- CHEM 254 - Introductory Chemical Thermodynamics
- Taught in 2021, 2022
- CHEM 350 - Chemical Kinetics
- Taught in 2020
- CHEM 356 - Introductory Quantum Mechanics
- Taught in 2019
- CHEM 400 - Special Topics in Chemistry
- Taught in 2019, 2021, 2022, 2023
- CHEM 740 - Selected Topics in Theoretical Chemistry
- Taught in 2019, 2021, 2022, 2023
- NE 332 - Quantum Mechanics
- Taught in 2022
* Only courses taught in the past 5 years are displayed.
- M. H. Lechner R. Iszak M. Nooijen F. Neese. (2021). A perturbative approach to multireference equation of motion coupled cluster. Molecular Physics. 119: e1939185.
- Nooijen, M. Bao, S. (2021). Normal ordered exponential approach to thermal properties and time correlation functions: General theory and simple examples. Molecular Physics. 119(20-21): e1980832.
- Demel, O. Lecours, M.J. Habrovsky, R. Nooijen, M. (2021). Toward laplace MP2 method using range separated Coulomb potential and orbital selective virtual. Journal of Chemical Physics. 155(15): 154104.
- Heldmaier, F. V. Coughing, N. J. Haack, A. Huard, R. Guna, M. Scheider, B. Nooijen, M. Hopkins, S. (2021). UVPD spectroscopy of differential mobility-selected prototropic isomers of protonated adenine. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics. 23(35): 19892-19900.
- View all Marcel Nooijen's publications on Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=yFqaGSsAAAAJ&view_op=list_works&sortby=pubdate
In The News
- Currently considering applications from graduate students. A completed online application is required for admission; start the application process now.
- Has Approved Doctoral Dissertation Supervisor (ADDS) status