A Master of Engineering (M.Eng.) degree is ideal for a recent graduate or professional seeking advanced training to enhance and strengthen a career in the field of engineering.
- 8 courses
- Full-time and part-time study available
- 1-2 years - depending on full-time or part-time status
- Note: The average program completion time for an M.Eng. student is 16 months (4 terms).
- As part of the M.Eng. degree, we offer our students the opportunity to specialize in specific areas and earn a specialization in addition to their M.Eng. degree. Courses taken towards a M.Eng. specialization will also be counted towards your degree requirements.
NOTE: M.Eng. students do not have a supervisor, nor do they receive financial assistance. M.Eng. students are expected to be entirely self-funded. Additionally, students that would like to transfer from another program or department into the regular ECE M.Eng. program must submit a program plan change form to the ECE graduate studies office. Transfer applications for a particular term are accepted only until the end of the first week of classes. Please note that this is not a guaranteed transfer and is subject to the approval of the Associate Chair, Graduate Studies.
- Honours Bachelor of Applied Science or equivalent degree (4 year)
- Applying with domestic credentials:
- A minimum 75% overall standing in the last two years of a four-year Honours Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- Applying with international credentials:
- A minimum 75% overall standing in a four-year Honours Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- Supplementary Information Form
- Resume (a CV is also acceptable)
- 2 references (at least 1 from an academic source) Note: Academic referees must have directly taught coursework or supervised research
- English language proficiency (ELP) examination score
- Determine if you are exempt from submitting an ELP examination score
NOTE: Graduate Records Examination (GRE) scores are not an application requirement for our graduate program, but can be submitted as part of your application package.
Begin your application at least two weeks prior to the deadlines below to give your referees enough time to submit references on your behalf, and to ensure you have enough time to upload the documents required.
All applicants have the same deadline whether they are international (study permit), Canadian, or a Permanent Resident of Canada.
Application submission is currently open for the following start dates:
|Start date||Complete your application by|
|Spring 2023 (May 1, 2023)||CLOSED|
|Fall 2023 (September 1, 2023)||February 1, 2023|
|Winter 2024 (January 1, 2024)||June 1, 2023|
|Spring 2024 (May 1, 2024)||October 1, 2023|
ALL required documents must be uploaded by the deadline date. We recommend you upload your documents within two weeks of receiving your Waterloo ID Number so we can begin reviewing your application package.
Note: Admission decisions are not made on a first-come first-served basis.
Please visit our frequently asked questions (FAQ) web page which answers many common questions regarding admission into an Electrical and Computer Engineering graduate program.
For any questions not answered on the FAQ page, e-mail the admissions coordinator. If you have submitted an application, please remember to include your 8-digit Waterloo ID Number in all correspondence.