Guang Gong is a Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, a University Research Chair, and an IEEE Fellow. Her research focuses on multiple areas such as design and implementation of lightweight cryptographic systems, cryptography and cryptanalysis; security and privacy of Internet-of-Things (IoT), privacy of blockchain and blockchain based IoT security, privacy preserving machine learning, security in cloud, network, ad-hoc network and RFID systems; wireless security, multimedia security, and physical layer security. Her research also lies in and signal design for wireless Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA), Orthogonal frequency-division Multiplexing (OFDM) and Multiple-Input Multiple-Output (MIMO) communications. In 2005, Dr. Gong, together with former Ph. D student Yassir Nawaz, proposed a new stream cipher, namely, a WG stream cipher family, which offers unique randomness properties that other ciphers do not have. Recently, together with Professor Mark Aagaard, some lightweight instances (i.e., WG-5, WG-7, WG-8) of this stream cipher family have been implemented in hardware for securing RFID systems and embedded devices. In Feb 2019, her team submitted 4 lightweight cryptographic schemes, i.e., ACE, SPOC, SPIX, and WAGE to the NIST LWC competition.
- Pseudorandom sequence generation, Implementation of lightweight cryptographic systems, Lightweight cryptography, cryptography and cryptanalysis, Security algorithms and protocols, Security and privacy of IoT, blockchain, and cyber physical systems, Privacy preserving machine learning, Wireless communications/networking, Cross layer and physical layer security
- 1992, Post-doctorate, Electrical Engineering, Fondazione Ugo Bordani
- 1990, Doctorate, Electrical Engineering, University of Electronic Science and Technology of China
- 1985, Master's, Applied Mathematics, Northwest Telecommunication Eng. Inst.
- 1981, Bachelor's, Mathematics, Xiachang Normal College
- ECE 409 - Cryptography & System Security
- Taught in 2018, 2019
- ECE 414 - Communication Systems 2
- Taught in 2017
- ECE 458 - Computer Security
- Taught in 2020
- ECE 628 - Computer Network Security
- Taught in 2019
- ECE 710 - Topics Commun & Inform Theory
- Taught in 2017, 2018
- ECE 716 - Communication Security
- Taught in 2020
- Mandal, Kalikinkar and Fan, Xinxin and Gong, Guang, Design and Implementation of Warbler Family of Lightweight Pseudorandom Number Generators for Smart Devices, ACM Transactions on Embedded Computing Systems (TECS), 15(1), 2016
- Feng, Xiutao and Gong, Guang, On algebraic immunity of trace inverse functions on finite fields of characteristic two, Journal of Systems Science and Complexity, 29(1), 2016, 272 - 288
- Yang, Yang and Gong, Guang and Tang, Xiaohu, ON ω-CYCLIC-CONJUGATED-PERFECT QUATERNARY GDJ SEQUENCES., Advances in Mathematics of Communications, 10(2), 2016
- Carlet, Claude and Gong, Guang and Tan, Yin, Quadratic zero-difference balanced functions, APN functions and strongly regular graphs, Designs, Codes and Cryptography, 78(3), 2016, 629 - 654
- Tan, Yin and Gong, Guang and Zhu, Bo, Enhanced criteria on differential uniformity and nonlinearity of cryptographically significant functions, Cryptography and Communications, 8(2), 2016, 291 - 311
- Currently considering applications from graduate students. A completed online application is required for admission; start the application process now.