Michal Bajcsy joined the Institute for Quantum Computing in 2014 as an Assistant Professor. He has a joint appointment with the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering.
Michal received both his PhD in Applied Physics and his Bachelor of Science in Electrical and Computer Engineering from Harvard University’s School of Engineering and Applied Sciences.
His doctoral work was done under the supervision of Mikhail Lukin and included a demonstration of stationary light pulses and studies of interactions between tightly confined cold atoms and few-photon pulses in a hollow-core photonic-crystal fiber. During his PhD, Michal spent several years as a visiting student in Vladan Vuletic's group at MIT. He completed his postdoctoral training in the Nanoscale and Quantum Photonics Lab of Jelena Vuckovic at Stanford University, where his research focused on experiments with solid-state cavity QED systems based on quantum dots embedded in photonic crystals.
At the University of Waterloo, he works on development of scalable photonic devices and quantum optics experimental platforms based on quantum emitters such as laser cooled atoms, quantum dots, and color centers coupled to nanophotonic structures.
- Coupling of quantum emitters to nano-photonics structures
- Development of on-chip platforms
- Non-classical light sources and quantum memories based on mesoscopic ensembles of quantum emitters
- Frozen light
- dark-state polaritons
- all-optical switching at extremely low light levels
- 2010, Doctorate, Applied Physics, School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Harvard University
- 2001, Bachelor of Science (BS), Electrical and Computer Engineering, Harvard University
- ECE 106 - Electricity and Magnetism
- Taught in 2014, 2015
- ECE 770 - Special Topics in Antenna and Microwave Theory
- Taught in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- ECE 404 - Geometrical and Physical Optics
- Taught in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- ECE 676 - Quantum Information Processing Devices
- Taught in 2018
- Yoon, Taehyun and Haapamaki, Christopher and Flannery, Jeremy and Bappi, Golam and Al Maruf, Rubayet and Alshehri, Omar and Bajcsy, Michal, Laser-cooled cesium atoms confined in a fiber-guided magic-wavelength dipole trap, Bulletin of the American Physical Society, 2016
- Haapamaki, CM and Flannery, J and Bappi, G and Al Maruf, R and Bhaskara, SV and Alshehri, O and Yoon, T and Bajcsy, M, Mesoscale cavities in hollow-core waveguides for quantum optics with atomic ensembles, Nanophotonics, 2016
- Bajcsy, Michal and Majumdar, Arka, Quantum optics: Arithmetic with photons, Nature Photonics, 10(1), 2016, 4 - 6
- Rundquist, Armand and Bajcsy, Michal and Majumdar, Arka and Sarmiento, Tomas and Fischer, Kevin and Lagoudakis, Konstantinos G and Buckley, Sonia and Piggott, Alexander Y and Vučković, Jelena, Nonclassical higher-order photon correlations with a quantum dot strongly coupled to a photonic-crystal nanocavity, Physical Review A, 90(2), 2014
- Piggott, Alexander Y and Lagoudakis, Konstantinos G and Sarmiento, Tomas and Bajcsy, Michal and Shambat, Gary and Vučković, Jelena, Photo-oxidative tuning of individual and coupled GaAs photonic crystal cavities, Optics express, 22(12), 2014, 15017 - 15023