Mohamed Oussama Damen is an Electrical and Computer Engineering Associate Professor at the University of Waterloo.
Professor Damen has an extensive background in research positions at multiple academic institutions including École Nationale Supérieure des Télécommunications in Paris, France; the University of Minnesota and the University of Alberta. In June of 2004, he joined the University of Waterloo, where he then became the Nortel Networks Associate Chair in Advanced Telecommunications from April 2005 to April 2010.
His current research interests include coding theory (particularly regarding lattices, coding and decoding algorithms), cross-layer optimization, multiple-input multiple-output and space time communications, multiuser detection, and wireless communications.
Professor Damen has received several awards including the University of Waterloo ECE Research Excellence Award in 2007, Early Researcher Award in the Province of Ontario for 2007 to 2010 and the Junior Research Fellowship from the French Research Ministry in 1996 to 1999. Professor Damen has published numerous articles and journals with, and is currently a senior level member of, IEEE.
- Coding Theory
- Cross-layer Optimization
- Multiple-input Multiple-output (MIMO)
- Space-time Communications
- Multiuser Detection
- Wireless Communications
- Communication & Information Systems
- 1999, Doctorate, Electronics and Communications, Ecole Nationale Superieure des Telecommunications de Bretagne
- 1996, Master's, Digital Communications, Ecole Nationale Superieure des Telecommunications Paris
- 1995, Bachelor's, Mathematics, University of Paris
- ECE 316 - Probability Theory and Statistics
- ECE 207 - Signals and Systems
- ECE 611 - Digital Communications
- Najafi, Hossein and Damen, Mohamed Oussama, Lattice-Reduction-Aided Conditional Detection for MIMO Systems, IEEE Transactions on Communications, 62(11), 2014, 3864 - 3873
- Torbatian, Mehdi and Damen, Mohamed Oussama, Diversity--Multiplexing Tradeoff of Asynchronous Decode-and-Forward Cooperative Networks, IEEE Transactions on Communications, 62(7), 2014, 2340 - 2352
- Najafi, Hossein and Damen, Mohamed Oussama and Hjorungnes, Are, Asynchronous Compute-and-Forward, IEEE Transactions on Communications, 61(7), 2013, 2704 - 2712
- Hesammohseni, S Ali and Damen, Mohamed Oussama, Provably near optimal link scheduling and power control for wireless device-to-device networks, 2016 Australian Communications Theory Workshop (AusCTW), January 2016, 47 - 52
- Damen, Mohamed Oussama and Narmanlioglu, Omer and Uysal, Murat, Comparative performance evaluation of MIMO visible light communication systems, 2016 24th Signal Processing and Communication Application Conference (SIU), January 2016, 525 - 528
- Najafi, Hossein and Damen, Mohamed Oussama, Lattice-reduction-aided conditional decoding, 2014 IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC), January 2014, 122 - 127
- Heidarpour, Mohammad R and Uysal, Murat and Damen, Mohamed Oussama, Fractionally spaced equalization for broadband amplify-and-forward cooperative systems, Information Theory Proceedings (ISIT), 2013 IEEE International Symposium on, January 2013, 3115 - 3119