Mohamed Oussama Damen is an Electrical and Computer Engineering Associate Professor at the University of Waterloo.
Professor Damen has an extensive background in research positions at multiple academic institutions including École Nationale Supérieure des Télécommunications in Paris, France; the University of Minnesota and the University of Alberta. In June of 2004, he joined the University of Waterloo, where he then became the Nortel Networks Associate Chair in Advanced Telecommunications from April 2005 to April 2010.
His current research interests include coding theory (particularly regarding lattices, coding and decoding algorithms), cross-layer optimization, multiple-input multiple-output and space time communications, multiuser detection, and wireless communications.
Professor Damen has received several awards including the University of Waterloo ECE Research Excellence Award in 2007, Early Researcher Award in the Province of Ontario for 2007 to 2010 and the Junior Research Fellowship from the French Research Ministry in 1996 to 1999. Professor Damen has published numerous articles and journals with, and is currently a senior level member of, IEEE.
- Coding theory
- Cross-layer optimization
- Multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO)
- Space-time communications
- Multiuser detection
- Wireless Communications
- Communication & Information Systems
- Connectivity and Internet of Things
- Communications and Access
- 1999, Doctorate, Electronics and Communications, Ecole Nationale Superieure des Telecommunications de Bretagne
- 1996, Master's, Digital Communications, Ecole Nationale Superieure des Telecommunications Paris
- 1995, Bachelor's, Mathematics, University of Paris
- Torbatian, Mehdi and Damen, Mohamed Oussama, Diversity--Multiplexing Tradeoff of Asynchronous Decode-and-Forward Cooperative Networks, IEEE Transactions on Communications, 62(7), 2014, 2340 - 2352
- Najafi, Hossein and Damen, Mohamed Oussama, Lattice-Reduction-Aided Conditional Detection for MIMO Systems, IEEE Transactions on Communications, 62(11), 2014, 3864 - 3873
- Najafi, Hossein and Damen, Mohamed Oussama and Hjorungnes, Are, Asynchronous Compute-and-Forward, IEEE Transactions on Communications, 61(7), 2013, 2704 - 2712
- Torbatian, Mehdi and Najafi, Hossein and Damen, Mohamed Oussama, Asynchronous interference alignment, IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, 11(9), 2012, 3148 - 3157
- Najafi, Hossein and Jafari, Mohammad Erfan Danesh and Damen, Mohamed Oussama, On adaptive lattice reduction over correlated fading channels, IEEE transactions on communications, 59(5), 2011, 1224 - 1227