Magdy Salama is a Professor in the Electrical and Computer Engineering department at the University of Waterloo. He is also a registered professional engineer in the Province of Ontario (P.Eng.) and Egypt, and is associated with the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE).
Professor Salama’s research interests include distribution system planning and performance analysis, distribution system automaton and load management, power quality analysis, smart grid analysis, renewable energy analysis, power system asset management and risk analysis, grounding system analysis, fault locator and system restoration, electric energy storage, medical image processing, sleep staging analysis, and neuromodulation systems. In addition, Professor Salama developed the Power Quality, Electric Vehicle Power Electronics, Ultrasound Imaging, and the Sleep Staging lab at UWaterloo.
He holds several patents, which are as follows: “High Voltage Power Supply”, European patent August 28, 2006; “High Voltage Power Supply for auto industry application”, US patent July 31, 2003; “High Voltage Power Supply for aerospace applications”, US patent November 1, 2002; and “High Voltage Power Supply”, US patent July 31, 2003.
In addition to his research work, Professor Salama has received several awards and has been listed in the National Encyclopaedia for Distinguished Egyptian Men of Science”, 1991 Edition, Cairo, Egypt (Who’s Who in Egypt). He is also the author or co-author of 215 Journal Publications, 245 International Conference Papers (a total of 460 publications) and 16 Technical Reports.
- Power Quality
- Distribution System Automation
- Performance And Planning
- Reactive Power Control
- Energy Systems
- Power System Asset Management And Risk Analysis
- Smart Grid Analysis
- Renewable Energy Analysis
- Fault Locator And System Restoration
- Electric Energy Storage
- Distribution System Automation And Load Management
- Distribution System Planning
- Grounding System Analysis
- 1977, Doctorate, Electrical Engineering, University of Waterloo
- 1973, Master of Science, Electrical Engineering, Cairo University
- 1971, Bachelor of Science (BS), Electrical Engineering, Cairo University
- ECE 668 - Distribution System Engineering
- ECE 390 - Engineering Design, Economics, and Impact on Society
- ECE 6606 -
- ECE 6616PD - Electric Safety and Grounding System Design