Na Young Kim is an Associate Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering. She has an affiliation with the Institute for Quantum Computing and and Waterloo Institute for Nanotechnology and cross-appointments with the Department of Physics and Astronomy and the Department of Chemistry.
Na Young leads the Quantum Innovation (QuIN) laboratory, which aims to build large-scale quantum processors based on novel materials and advanced technologies. Two kick-off projects are under way: (1) a semiconductor quantum processors project that establishes controllable optical and electrical domains, in which her research team is learning insights of exotic materials and the fundamental nature of symmetries, and (2) a project in which a multi-functional classical and quantum device arrays establishes a planar architecture comprised of nano-scale devices with electrical, optical, thermal and mechanical functionality.
Prior to joining the University of Waterloo in 2016, Na Young worked for Apple Inc. developing small display products. She received a BS in Physics from Seoul National University and pursued her graduate studies exploring mesoscopic transport properties in low-dimensional nanostructures in the Department of Applied Physics at Stanford University. During her postgraduate research, she expanded her scope to the fields of quantum optics and nanophotonics, working on several experimental and theoretical projects in collaboration with graduate students, postdoctoral scholars and collaborators.
- Large-Scale Solid-State Quantum Computer
- Quantum Simulator
- Quantum Information Processing & Communications
- Quantum Artificial Intelligence
- Quantum Security
- 2006, Doctorate, Applied Physics, Stanford University
- 1998, Bachelor of Science (BS), Physics, Seoul National University
- ECE 106 - Electricity and Magnetism
- Taught in 2016, 2017
- ECE 477 - Photonic Devices and Systems
- Taught in 2019, 2020
- ECE 730 - Topics in Solid State Devices
- Taught in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
- ECE 770 - Top in Antenna & Micro Theory
- Taught in 2019, 2020
- Haining Pan, K. Winkler, Mats Powlowski, Ming Xie, A. Schade, M. Emerging, M. Kamp, S. Klembt, C. Schneider, Tim Byrnes, S. Höfling, Na Young Kim, Two-kind boson mixture honeycomb Hamiltonian of Bloch exciton-polaritons,, Physical Review B, 99, 2019
- Taehyun Yoon, Na Young Kim, Where two quantum fluids meet, Nature Photonics, 13, 2019, 441 - 442
- Nitsche, Wolfgang H and Kim, Na Young and Roumpos, Georgios and Schneider, Christian and Höfling, Sven and Forchel, Alfred and Yamamoto, Yoshihisa, Spatial correlation of two-dimensional bosonic multimode condensates, Physical Review A, 93(5), 2016
- Kim, Na Young and Yamamoto, Yoshihisa, Exciton-Polariton Quantum Simulators, arXiv preprint arXiv:1510.08203, 2015
- Byrnes, Tim and Kim, Na Young and Yamamoto, Yoshihisa, Erratum: Exciton-polariton condensates, Nature Physics, 10(12), 2014, 977 - 977
- Currently considering applications from graduate students. A completed online application is required for admission; start the application process now.