Patrick Lam is an Associate Professor and Associate Director of Software Engineering, and cross-appointed to the School of Computer Science at the University of Waterloo.
Professor Lam’s research interests include static program analysis, verifiable software specifications, data mining, renewable energy and software engineering. He believes that his research “aims to give developers ways to automatically link high-level designs to low-level implementations, through the use of programming language extensions” (Patrick Lam, http://patricklam.ca).
Professor Lam has received multiple grants for his research efforts from the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada, including the NSERC Engage Grant in 2013 worth $25,000. He also has a current ongoing NSERC Discovery Grant from 2013 to 2018 worth $20,000 a year.
Additionally, Professor Lam has been recognized for his paper, “Soot – A Java Optimization Framework” by the Centre for Advanced Studies Conference hosted by IBM as a First Decade High Impact Paper in 2010. He has written many other published works for a variety of sources.
- Program Verification
- Static Analysis
- Specification Languages
- Program Understanding
- Pointer Analysis
- Lightweight Specifications
- Communication Systems
- Information Systems
- Verifiable Domain-specific Languages
- Software Engineering
- Verifiable Software Specifications
- 2007, Doctorate, Computer Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- 2000, Master's, Computer Science, McGill University
- 1999, Bachelor's, Joint Honours Mathematics and Computer Science, McGill University
- SE 101 - Introduction to Methods of Software Engineering
- SE 465 - Software Testing and Quality Assurance
- ECE 453 - Software Testing, Quality Assurance and Maintenance
- Eyolfson, Jon and Lam, Patrick, C++ const and Immutability: An Empirical Study of Writes-Through-const (Artifact), DARTS-Dagstuhl Artifacts Series, 2, 2016
- Eyolfson, Jon and Tan, Lin and Lam, Patrick, Correlations between bugginess and time-based commit characteristics, Empirical Software Engineering, 19(4), 2014, 1009 - 1039
- Demsky, Brian and Lam, Patrick, Views: Synthesizing fine-grained concurrency control, ACM Transactions on Software Engineering and Methodology (TOSEM), 22(1), 2013
- Fang, Zheng Felix and Lam, Patrick, Identifying Test Refactoring Candidates with Assertion Fingerprints, Proceedings of the Principles and Practices of Programming on The Java Platform, January 2015, 125 - 137
- Demsky, Brian and Lam, Patrick, SATCheck: SAT-directed stateless model checking for SC and TSO, ACM SIGPLAN Notices, January 2015, 20 - 36
- Hanam, Quinn and Tan, Lin and Holmes, Reid and Lam, Patrick, Finding patterns in static analysis alerts: improving actionable alert ranking, Proceedings of the 11th Working Conference on Mining Software Repositories, January 2014, 152 - 161