Peter Levine is an Assistant Professor in the Electrical and Computer Engineering department and is also a researcher in the Waterloo Institute of Nanotechnology at the University of Waterloo.
Professor Levine’s research group aims to develop Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductors (CMOS) that translate the chemical world of biology to the digital world. By combining standard CMOS chips that contain custom analog/mixed-signal integrated circuits with novel or non-traditional structures, materials, and devices, his research group is developing biochips for a wide range of life-science and bio-diagnostic applications. Professor Levine’s research also involves integrated microsystems for clinical and environmental monitoring and the designing and testing of 3D integrated circuits.
His previous work in CMOS- Integrated DNA Assays was the precursor to the development of an active electrochemical biosensor array built with CMOS technology. This was created in order to perform quantitative DNA hybridization detection on chip using targets conjugated with ferrocene redox labels.
Professor Levine has written chapters in the book "High-resolution flash time-to-digital conversion and calibration for system-on-chip testing, "Embedded Microelectronic Systems: Status and Trends as well as journal articles, conference proceedings and posters. In conjunction with researchers K. L. Shepard, P. Gong, and R. Levicky, Professor Levine has filed a patent for “Active CMOS sensor array for electrochemical biomolecular detection”.
- Analog And Mixed-signal Integrated Circuits
- DNA Sequencing
- DNA Microarrays
- Integrated Microsystems
- CMOS-integrated Biochemical Assays
- 2009, Doctorate, Electrical Engineering, Columbia University
- 2004, Other, Electrical Engineering, McGill University
- 2002, Other, Computer Engineering, McGill University
- ECE 242 - Electronic Circuits 2
- ECE 636 - Advanced Analog Integrated Circuits
- ECE 240 - Electronic Circuits 1
- Huang, Hai and Xia, Jingjing and Islam, Anik and Ng, Eric and Levine, Peter M and Boumaiza, Slim, Digitally Assisted Analog/RF Predistorter With a Small-Signal-Assisted Parameter Identification Algorithm, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, 63(12), 2015, 4297 - 4305
- Parsafar, Alireza and Scott, Christopher C and El-Falou, Abdallah and Levine, Peter M and Karim, Karim S, Direct-Conversion CMOS X-Ray Imager With Pixels, IEEE Electron Device Letters, 36(5), 2015, 481 - 483
- Bellin, Daniel L and Sakhtah, Hassan and Rosenstein, Jacob K and Levine, Peter M and Thimot, Jordan and Emmett, Kevin and Dietrich, Lars EP and Shepard, Kenneth L, Integrated circuit-based electrochemical sensor for spatially resolved detection of redox-active metabolites in biofilms, Nature communications, 5, 2014
- Bellin, Daniel L and Sakhtah, Hassan and Rosenstein, Jacob K and Levine, Peter M and Thimot, Jordan and Emmett, Kevin and Dietrich, Lars EP and Shepard, Kenneth L, CMOS Electrochemical Sensing Platform for Spatially Resolved Detection of Redox-Active Metabolites Released by Multicellular Films, Biophysical Journal, 106(2), 2014
- Levine, Peter M and Gong, Ping and Levicky, Rastislav and Shepard, Kenneth L, 2 Active CMOS Biochip for Electrochemical DNA Assays, Microfluidics and Nanotechnology: Biosensing to the Single Molecule Limit, 2014
- Huang, H and Islam, A and Xia, J and Levine, P and Boumaiza, S, Linear filter assisted envelope memory polynomial for analog/radio frequency predistortion of power amplifiers, 2015 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium, January 2015, 1 - 3
- Ali, Areeb and Pal, Neelanjana and Levine, Peter M, CMOS impedance spectroscopy sensor array with synchronous voltage-to-frequency converters, 2015 IEEE 58th International Midwest Symposium on Circuits and Systems (MWSCAS), January 2015, 1 - 4
- Scott, CC and Parsafar, A and El-Falou, A and Levine, PM and Karim, KS, High dose efficiency, ultra-high resolution amorphous selenium/CMOS hybrid digital X-ray imager, 2015 IEEE International Electron Devices Meeting (IEDM), January 2015, 30 - 6
- Ibrahim, Mark MR and Levine, Peter M, CMOS transimpedance amplifier for biosensor signal acquisition, 2014 IEEE international symposium on circuits and systems (ISCAS), January 2014, 25 - 28
- O'Sullivan, Conor and Levine, Peter M and Garg, Siddharth, Vertically-addressed test structures (VATS) for 3D IC variability and stress measurements, Quality Electronic Design (ISQED), 2013 14th International Symposium on, January 2013, 96 - 103
- Jensen, Karl A and Gaudet, Vincent C and Levine, Peter M, Noise analysis and measurement of integrator-based sensor interface circuits for fluorescence detection in lab-on-a-chip applications, Noise and Fluctuations (ICNF), 2013 22nd International Conference on, January 2013, 1 - 4
- Johnson, Kim L and Jordan, Jeremy and Levine, Peter M and Milgrew, Mark James, Chemical detection device having multiple flow channels, January
- Levine, Peter M and Milgrew, Mark James and Rearick, Todd, Capacitive charge pump, January
- Levine, Peter and Milgrew, Mark and Rearick, Todd, Capacitive charge pump, January
- Johnson, Kim and Jordan, Jeremy and Levine, Peter and Milgrew, Mark, Array configuration and readout scheme, January
- Levine, Peter, Array column integrator, January
- Levine, Peter, Methods for operating an array column integrator, January