The Image Library and Reading Room is located in ECH 1216 and is open daily, Monday to Friday, from 9:00 am until 4:30 pm, closing one hour for lunch.
The image collection developed to support teaching and research within the Department and consists of approximately 60,000 slides, 30,000 digital images and 2000 DVDs.
The Reading Room includes a study area and a collection of over 2000 books. The collection began through donations by retired faculty and friends of the department and recent purchases have helped round out the collection. These are available for browsing or research and can be signed out by Fine Arts students.
Contact the Visual Resources Curator if you have any questions.
Cameras, tripods and lighting kits are available for students who wish to photograph their artwork. Speak to the Visual Resources Curator for assistance and to book the equipment. For advise on documenting artwork students can review the instructions for documenting artwork (PDF) and also view the videos from Otis College on how to digitally photograph two-dimensional artwork and three-dimensional artwork.
Dana Porter Arts Library
The Dana Porter Library maintains an excellent collection of books on Fine Arts. The majority of these are located on the 8th floor, although film and photography books are mostly housed on the 10th floor. For help in using this collection, contact the Fine Arts Librarian, Sara Thompson, at extension 35623.
Art History resources
- Arthistory100 Wiki - Art History - contains general resources are useful in gathering information on the art world, as well as information on specific artists and styles.
- Art History Resources on the Web - Christopher Witcombe's site at Sweetbriar College includes hundreds of links to art history resources.
- Mother of all Art and Art History Links Page - one of the most comprehensive resources available online for those researching art and art history.
Sources for digital images
- ARTstor - an image database of hundreds of thousands of images for use in research, teaching and learning. Available through the Dana Porter Library.
- Art Images for College Teaching Allan T. Kohl image collection at the Minneapolis College of Art & Design
- Arthistory100 Wiki - a resource for finding digital image collections on the web
- Art Image Collections Guide from the University of Minnesota libraries
- Historic Illustrations of Art and Architecture - Allan T. Kohl image collection at the Minneapolis College of Art & Design
- Web Gallery of Art - a virtual museum and searchable database of European fine arts from 11th to 19th centuries.
- WorldImages from California State University - contains approximately 100,000 images, is global in coverage and includes all areas of visual imagery.