The University of Waterloo will provide an eight-month birth and parental leave (includes adoption) bursary to eligible graduate students. The bursary, together with any other continuing support, is intended to maintain income at about 95% of the average level of income received by the student during the three previous academic terms, less tuition.
The maximum value of the bursary is $5,000 for the first term and $3,000 for the second term.
To be eligible for a Graduate Studies Parental Leave Bursary, a student must:
- be a full or part-time graduate student (with no outstanding fees) who has been registered for at least one academic term prior to the start of the leave
- be receiving financial support (ie. TA, RA, scholarship, bursary, awards)
- be taking a parental leave
Recipients are restricted from employment (in any capacity) within the University of Waterloo during the term(s) of their bursary.
- Award bursary application
- Complete the appropriate application on our forms page
- Attach required documentation (as per application form)
- Submit your complete application package to Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs (GSPA) by the appropriate term deadline below
A completed application form, should be submitted to Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs, normally two months prior to the start of the leave.