To: Waterloo employees, including employees of the Affiliated and Federated Institutions of Waterloo, and graduate students
From: Charmaine B. Dean, Vice-President, Research and International
Subject: Domestic and international travel
This is to clarify the processes for domestic and international travel for faculty and staff. Students participating in University-sanctioned international travel must follow the processes as outlined on the travel safety information for students webpage.
- Domestic travel no longer requires approval.
- International travel to Level 1 and Level 2 destinations no longer requires approval.
- International travel to Level 3 and Level 4 destinations continues to be permitted under the existing approval process.
- The Government of Canada’s warning levels for international travel destinations can change for a variety of reasons and on short notice. In order to ensure we can provide support to our community in the case of an unpredictable situation, all travellers to destinations outside of Canada and the United States must register their travel with Safety Abroad regardless of the Level of travel advisory. This will include completing pre-departure and travel risk mitigation activities. This registration procedure will assist travellers in the event of unforeseen circumstances. Specifically, registered individuals will:
- receive recommended pre-departure risk mitigation measures;
- receive a Travel Risk Brief with destination-specific risk information from the University's Travel Safety and Security Provider, Anvil Group; and
- receive real-time incident alerts from Anvil Group for incidents taking place in their destination
There are processes required for domestic field work that must be followed.