The University of Waterloo is pleased to be a participating institution with the Government of Brazil Doctoral Scholarship Program. Two funding agencies CAPES (the Brazilian Federal Agency for Support and Evaluation of Graduate Education) and CNPq (the National Council for Scientific and Technological Development), offer scholarship programs.
Contact CNPq for scholarship information and assistance.
Brazil graduate student application information
- Minimum admission requirements include a 7.5/10 standing overall.
- Certification of English language proficiency (ELP) through one of the accepted examinations is required. Learn more about Waterloo's ELP requirements.
Applying to Waterloo
- Within the Other Information section of the graduate online application, under International Agreements, choose your sponsorship agreement from the drop-down menu.
- If your scholarship agreement is not among those listed, choose “Other scholarship” from the drop-down menu.
- Some agreements provide a preliminary sponsorship or scholarship letter, if applicable, email a pdf copy to an admissions specialist. Remember to include your full name and your 8 digit (numerical only) Waterloo student ID number.
- If you are applying with a sponsorship that includes funding for English language studies, conditional admission may be offered. Learn more about sponsorships with English Language Training.
- The sponsorship documentation must detail the approved program, financial support amount and the number of years the funding has been granted (a minimum of two years for a master’s research program and a minimum of four years for a PhD program).
- Please refer to Arranging your fees with a third-party sponsorship on the Finance website for the information required in the official sponsorship documentation. If there is any change in your funding situation, the University of Waterloo may re-evaluate your Offer of Admission, and reserves the right to withdraw your Offer of Admission or withdraw you from your graduate program.
- For further information contact the Manager, Graduate Admissions, at firstname.lastname@example.org.