I am a Professor of History at the University of Waterloo, where I specialize in Modern U.S. Cultural and Social History. My research interests include the history of American popular culture (including film, television, music and print culture), Cold War culture, advertising and consumerism, social protest movements, the Sixties, modern American conservatism, and the presidency of Ronald Reagan. My books include The Turning: A History of Vietnam Veterans Against the War (New York University Press, 1999), David Dellinger: The Life and Times of a Nonviolent Revolutionary (New York University Press, 2006), The 1980s: A Social History (ABC-CLIO Press, 2009), and We Begin Bombing in Five Minutes: Cold War Culture Wars in the Age of Reagan (University of Massachusetts Press, forthcoming). I’m also an avid fiction writer, and I’ve published three novels: City of Saints (Minotaur/St. Martin’s Press, 2012), A Killing in Zion (Minotaur/St. Martin’s Press, 2015), and Desolation Flats (Minotaur/St. Martin’s Press, 2016).
- B.A. University of Utah
- PhD University of Utah
Research and teaching interests
- American film
- American identity/patriotism
- The American West
- California history
- Popular culture
- Ronald Reagan/the Reagan presidency
- Social protest movements
- The Vietnam War
- HIST 105: Rock 'n' Roll & United States History
- HIST 120: The United States at War, 1861-1865
- HIST 216: The American West: Legend & Reality
- HIST 220: The Vietnam War & American Society
- HIST 257: America to 1877
- HIST 258: The United States Since 1877
- HIST 314: Freedom Struggle: The American Civil Rights Movement
- HIST 409A: Senior Seminar in U.S. History
- HIST 409B: Senior Research Seminar in U.S. History
- HIST 632: MA Seminar in U.S. History
- HIST 633: MA Research Seminar in U.S. History
- The 1980s: A social history, co-autored with Peter Halloran (Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO Press, 2009).
- David Dellinger: The life and times of a nonviolent revolutionary (New York: New York University Press, 2006).
- The turning: A history of Vietnam veterans against the war (New York: New York University Press, 1999).
Awards and acheivements
- Distinguished Teaching Award, University of Waterloo, 2005
- Regular columnist for Waterloo Region Record (politics and world affairs)