Congratulations Abby Hu, winner of the K.D. Fryer Gold Medal!
Abby Hu, a member of the 2017 graduating class (Math/CPA), is this year’s recipient of the prestigious K.D. Fryer Gold Medal, awarded at the Fall convocation to the Faculty of Mathematics graduating student who “best exemplifies high academic standing and good student citizenship”.
In addition to having an exceptionally strong academic record, Abby strove to make “my home of five years an even better place than I found it”, by being involved in a long list of extra-curricular and volunteer activities, including:
- Survey lead for the Faculty of Mathematics HeForShe Committee (see the full report here)
- Co-chair of the Mathematics Graduation Committee
- Vice-President of Academics for the Mathematics Society Student Council
- Course tutor for Students Offering Success (SOS)
- Student Ambassador for the Faculty of Mathematics
- Canadian Cancer Society and Random Acts of Kindness Day volunteer
- Volunteer for free tax clinics for low-income families in the Kitchener-Waterloo region
Abby also enjoyed ballroom and salsa dancing, and was extensively involved with orientation activites. On behalf of Waterloo, the Faculty of Mathematics, and the Math/Business and Accounting Programs, we thank Abby for her efforts and wish her all the best in her future academic and personal endeavours.