Witer Learning Resource Centre research services
- Recommend web accessible resources to search
- Suggest alternative words or boolean logic to help refine the search
- Provide limited searching on a topic/keywords. If you are unsuccessful searching available resources, we can expand the search and provide a list of up to 20 citations
Research services do not include:
- Comprehensive searching of all possible literature on a topic. We provide a list of up to 20 citations
- Critical evaluation of search results. It is your responsibility to determine the validity and usefulness of the search results
- Rush requests
To request research or information fill out an Information Request Form.
Finding clinically relevant research
Note: These databases contain both restricted and free journal articles.
|The Cochrane Library||
The Cochrane Library provides systematic review abstracts, technology assessments, economic evaluations and individual clinical trials.
|TRIP||Access to evidence-based medicine: synopses, clinical questions, systematic reviews, guidelines etc.|
|PubMed||Most comprehensive biomedical journal index|
|PubMed Central Canada||A partnership between the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), the Canada Institute for Scientific and Technical Information (NRC-CISTI), the Canadian National Science Library, and the United States National Library of Medicine (NLM). All material is Open Acess and free of charge.|
|PubMed Clinical Queries||Quick search for clinical queries|
|BioMed Central||Peer-reviewed biomedical research|
|Google Scholar||Extensive coverage of optometric content|
Finding patient information
|MedlinePlus||Produced by the National Library of Medicine, the National Institutes of Health's website for patients brings you free information about diseases, conditions, and wellness issues in plain language summaries.|
|TRIP||Use the "Patient Information" tab following a search for your research question of interest.|
|eTherapeutics||Pharmaceutical drug overviews available under the "Info for Patients" tab.|
|American Optometric Association||The Centre for Healthy Vision pages provide public-focused information for patients.|
The Cochrane Library provides free plain language summaries for all their systematic reviews.
In addition to our available electronic resources, the Association of Vision Science Libraries provides a current list of free open access journals.