Attention professors, researchers & students!
FREE | IQC 0101 | Lunch & refreshments provided
Are you ready to commercialize your research? Are you unsure but curious about what it takes? Are you looking for funding? If so, this event is for you!
Find out how you can maximize your odds for success and turn your research into a startup at this Up Start micro symposium. The Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC), Velocity and the Waterloo Commercialization Office (WatCo) will deliver all you need to know to effectively commercialize your research. This is an opportunity to connect with BDC Capital’s Deep Tech Venture Fund partner Duncan Stewart and technical director, Jackson Hamilton. You will also learn about new funding opportunities at the University of Waterloo from John Dick, director of Velocity campus and Scott Inwood, director of commercialization at WatCo.
Throughout the day you can expect to hear about the following:
• The journey from researcher to founder – a map of the steps needed to create a successful spinout company
• How WatCo and Velocity help with this journey
• How to be strategic with patents and other types of intellectual property
• How non-dilutive funding plays a role in commercial development
• When to raise investment from angels and VCs
• Insights into how investors think – directly from the investors themselves
• Common pitfalls to avoid
• Commercialization myths and factual insights on what is required to spinout a company
• An experienced view of what it takes to be a successful founder
Registration is required. Please RSVP by Nov 25.
475 Wes Graham Way
Waterloo, ON N2L 6R2