- Both courses should be completed in your first year, one in fall term and one in winter term.
- You can take them in any order, but take only one Arts First course at a time.
- Each section of ARTS 130 and ARTS 140 has a different topic, but overall the learning outcomes and goals are the same for all topics in each course.
To prepare to add ARTS 130 or 140 to your winter course schedule, follow the steps below BEFORE November 18.
Note: Students co-registered at St. Jerome's (STJ), please select an STJ designated section (ARTS 130 STJ J - SEM 005, 006, 007 or ARTS 140 STJ J - SEM 002, 003, 004).
Note: All GBDA students will be added to a section of ARTS 130 or 140 that fits in their schedule. You will be able to view which section you were added to when the schedule is updated on Nov. 14. GBDA students have a strict schedule in the Winter term which is why you have been added to a section. You have the option to attempt to swap into a different section if you wish, but should recognize your options are limited. Do NOT drop the section you are in. Please use the swap function only to attempt to make a change to your schedule.
Step 1: Make a list of your TOP TEN topics of interest
- Check winter term Arts First topics for the course you plan to take: either ARTS 130 or 140.
WHY DO I NEED A LIST?
- You might not get into the first few topics when you try to enrol. Why?
- Class time conflicts with another class in your schedule.
- Your preferred topic might be full; ARTS 130 and 140 classes hold only 25 students.
- If you can’t get in, you have other options to ensure one will fit your schedule.
Step 2: Check the schedule for your topics of interest
- Visit the Schedule of Classes.
- In the first drop-down menu, select 1201 (Winter 2020).
- In the subject list, select ARTS, then Search.
Step 3: Get the class number for each of the topics on your list
- Scroll down to ARTS 130 or ARTS 140 to find the class numbers for each of the topics on your list.
- NOTE the topic title is listed on the line BELOW the class number
- i.e. Class number 4179 the topic is “Community for Mental Health”
- Write down the 4-digit class number and the topic title for each topic of interest on your list.
See below for an example:
- Make sure the topics you put your list don’t conflict with other courses already in your schedule.
STEP 4: Check your enrolment appointment time
Students can add their Arts First courses during the drop/add period in Quest. Check your enrollment appointment time on Nov 14 to see when you actually get access to begin making changes.
- IGNORE the end time on the appointment.
- The last day to add a class is normally by the end of the second week of the term you are selection courses for (i.e. for Winter 2020, the deadline to add courses is January 17).
STEP 5: When your appointment time begins, add your winter term topic in Quest
- If you can’t get into your first choice, try your second choice, then third and so on.
- You must keep trying to add sections until you find one that you can add to your schedule.
- Follow the steps below to add your Arts First topic:
1. Once logged into Quest, in the Enroll tab, click add .
Type the 4-digit class number for your first choice topic into the “Enter Class Nbr” box, then hit enter.
If you don’t know the class number, Click search under the Find Classes heading.
Enter “ARTS” in the subject field and either “130” or “140” in the Course Number field, depending on which course you’d like to add.
If you use the 4-digit class number, that particular class will come up.
If you did a class search, your search results will list all of the topics. Click the select button next to your preferred topic. Proceed with the next steps until you have the option to select finish enrolling.
2. A green checkmark will appear in the Status column if you’ve successfully enrolled in your preferred topic.
If a red X appears and an error message, it means the course wasn’t added successfully, and you’ll need to try adding a different topic.
3. To confirm you are in ARTS 130 or 140, look back at your list of classes to confirm that you’ve added the course.
In this example, the student is in ARTS 130, class number 4179. From their list of topics they know that the topic title of Class number 4179 is “Community for Mental Health”.
Students co-registered at St. Jerome’s University:
You should select an STJ designated section (ARTS 130 STJ J - SEM 005, 006, 007 or ARTS 140 STJ J - SEM 002, 003, 004). For assistance, please connect with a St. Jerome’s Peer Academic Leader (PAL). The PALS hold daily office hours in Sweeney Hall (SH) Room 1012 and can be contacted via email at email@example.com or by phone at (519) 884-8111 Ext. 28208.
Students co-registered at Renison University College:
- Social Development Studies (SDS) students please book an advising appointment with your academic advisor.
- Honours Arts or ARBUS students please book an advising appointment by emailing Maria Vermeer.
Plan to attend our winter drop/add help session to assist you with this process, where you can speak one-on-one with an academic advisor.
- Thursday, November 21
- Drop by anytime between 9:30am - 3:30pm
- Come to PAS room 2438 (right next to the Arts Undergraduate Office).
There will be snacks and lots of people there to help you! Please BRING YOUR LAPTOP so you can log in to Quest, if needed. Drop by to get a quick question answered, or stay for a while and chat!
Need to make changes to your other classes in Quest? Use the swap function - it's the safest way to try to switch one class for another. You can also add classes if you don’t see all the courses you requested. Check the Quest FAQ page for more helpful instructions.