Start earning a Waterloo degree while improving your English
If you meet Waterloo's academic admission requirements, but don’t meet the required English language test score, you may receive a conditional offer of admission to Waterloo's Bridge to Academic Success in English (BASE) program.
What will you do in BASE?
- Improve your reading, writing, and oral skills with a focus on using English in a university setting.
- Take a credit course and begin earning your Waterloo degree right away.
- Have access to Waterloo workshops on research skills, career development, time management, and more.
- Use university support services, recreational facilities, and a public transit bus pass.
BASE is offered in 3 formats
- 1-term session, offered September to December.
- 2-term session, offered September to December and January to April.
- A 7-week Intensive Bridge to Academic Success in English (iBASE) beginning in mid-July (for students admitted to the School of Accounting and Finance or to the Faculties of Applied Health Sciences, Arts, Engineering, Environment, or Science).
How long you spend in BASE depends on your English language test scores and your program’s requirements. Your offer of admission tells you which session to take.
Once you have successfully completed BASE, you can begin studying full-time towards your degree. The undergraduate credit course(s) you take during BASE count toward your degree.
What are the benefits of BASE?
- Learn to succeed in a North American university environment.
- Get academic and social support to excel in your studies.
- Earn credit toward a Waterloo degree.
- Begin to build your professional and career skills.
- Make friends and experience Canadian culture.
- Aug. 2, 2018
Be creative! Have fun! Let your inner artist shine!
Student leaders from the iBASE Rep volunteer team are hosting PAINT SPLASH on Thursday, August 9 from 6:00pm-9:00pm. Join us at the Grad House Greens (located near the Dana Porter Library) for a fun evening!
- Aug. 8, 2017
The examination period for Waterloo students is almost coming to a close for this term, and students in our iBASE program want to help you shed the 'stress away'!
- July 16, 2017
by Kathy Nguyen