Every semester, the Waterloo Centre for German Studies' reading group meets on a weeknight evening to discuss a book that is somehow related to German-speaking culture.
Next Meeting is Monday, March 9, 2021 at 7pm and we are reading: Der geteilte Himmel/They Divided the Sky by Christa Wolf, trans. Luise von Flotow.
- Fall 2020 - Alina Bronsky: Baba Dunja’s Last Love (German title: Baba Dunjas Letzte Liebe)
- Spring/Summer 2020 - Eugen Ruge: In Times of Fading Light, Faber & Faber (German title: In Zeiten des abnehmenden Lichts, 2011). English translation: Anthea Bell
- Fall 2019 - Benedicts Wells: Vom Ende der Einsamkeit / The End of Loneliness, trans. Charlotte Collins
- Summer 2019 - Heike Geißler: Saisonarbeit / Seasonal Associate, trans. Katy Derbyshire
- Winter 2019 - Dörte Hansen: Altes Land / This House is Mine, trans. Anne Stokes
- Fall 2018 - Choose your own adventure!
- Summer 2018 - Gehen, Ging, Gegangen by Jenny Erpenbeck / Go, Went, Gone trans. by Susan Bernofsky
- Winter 2018 - Saving Kadinsky, by Mary Basson / Die Malerin, trans. by Gabriele Weber-Jaric
- Fall 2017 - Winnetou I, by Karl May
- Summer 2017 - Everyone chose their own book, and we also had a book exchange
- Winter 2017 - Measuring the World/Die Vermessung der Welt, by Daniel Kehlmann
- Fall 2016 - Almost Everything Really Fast/Meistens alles sehr schnell, by Christopher Kloeble
Contact Lori Straus, Reading Group Coordinator, for more details!