Derek Schipper carries out research in organic chemistry and materials chemistry. His research program is based on the development of novel synthetic methods that allow efficient access to important conjugated materials. Ultimately, he seeks to utilize these materials in applications such as organic photovoltaics, light emitting diodes and field-effect transistors.
Derek holds the Canada Research Chair in Organic Material Synthesis.
- Organic chemistry
- Synthetic methods
- Conjugated materials
- Organic electronic materials
Derek Schipper's research is focused on tackling synthetic challenges posed in the context of conjugated organic materials. These materials are poised to make significant technological breakthroughs that will enable the advancement of flexible, lightweight, low-cost electronic devices such as photovoltaics, light emitting diodes and field-effect transistors.
The performance of any device depends on the bulk properties of the active material. Improvements of the material properties arise from modification of the material on the molecular level and, therefore, stem from advances in the design and synthesis of new molecular architectures.
Derek and his research group's ability to design and construct new materials is limited only by the synthetic tools available to them. Innovative new synthetic capabilities will allow the design of novel molecular architectures and enable the ability to answer fundamental questions about structure/function relationships. Ultimately, this will lead to enhanced properties for these new materials and, therefore, improved device performances.
Recent course offerings include
- Organic Electronic Materials Synthesis
- Organic Chemistry 2
Recent publications include
- Ryan E. Moreira, Geoffrey S. Sinclair, Derek J. Schipper “Oxidative Ring-Opening of Benzothiazole Derivatives” Can. J. Chem. 2018, In Press, DOI: 10.1139/cjc2018-0459.
- Serxho Selmani, Luke Vanderzwet, Andrew J. Kukor, Derek J. Schipper “Synthesis of Poly(heteroarylenevinylene) Derivatives via Rhodium-Catalyzed Hydroarylation of Alkynes” Synlett 2018, 29, 2552-2556. Invited for cluster issue on “Synthesis of Materials”.
- Rafael A. Mirabal, Luke Vanderzwet, Michael R. Emmett, Sara Abuadas, Derek J. Schipper “Dehydration Polymerization for Poly(hetero)arene Conjugated Polymers” Chem. Eur. J. 2018, 24, 12231-12235. Invited for special issue for young and emerging scientists. Selected as Hot Paper.
- Serxho Selmani, Derek J. Schipper “Orientation Control of Molecularly Functionalized Surfaces Applied to the Simultaneous Alignment and Sorting of Carbon Nanotubes” Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2018, 57, 2399-2403. Selected as Very Important Paper (VIP). Highlighted: Angew.Chem. Int. Ed. 2018, 57, 4838.
- Serxho Selmani, M. Yue Shen, Derek J. Schipper “Iptycene-functionalized Silica Gel for the Purifcation of Fullerenes Using Flash Chromatography” RSC Adv. 2017, 7, 19026-19029.
- Geoffrey S. Sinclair, Tianyu Yang,* Sunmeng Wang, Wei H. Chen,* Derek J. Schipper “Copper-Mediated Nucleophilic Addition/Cascade Cyclization of Aryl Diynes” Org. Lett. 2017, 19, 802-805.
Please see Derek Schipper's Google Scholar profile for a current list of his peer-reviewed articles.
Awards and Distinctions
- Angewandte Chemie International Edition Very Important Paper, 2018
- Velocity Fund Winner, 2018
- Tier 2 Canada Research Chair in Organic Material Synthesis, 2014
- Thieme Chemistry Journal Award, 2014
- NSERC Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2011-13
- NSERC Postgraduate Doctoral Scholarship, 2008-11
- NSERC Canada Graduate Masters Scholarship, 2008, declined
- NSERC Postgraduate Masters Scholarship, 2007-08
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship, 2007, declined
- University of Ottawa Excellence Award, 2007-08
- Strategic Area of Development Award, 2006-07
- University of Ottawa Admission Scholarship, 2006
- Honourable Gordon L. Bennett Award, 2006
- NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Award, 2006
- Maritime Inorganic Discussion Weekend Oral Presentation Award, 2006
- ACS Undergraduate Analytical Chemistry Award, 2005
- Leon Loucks Memorial Award, 2005
- NSERC Industrial Undergraduate Student Research Awards, 2004, 2005
- Dean of Science Award of Merit in Chemistry, 2005
- University of Prince Edward Island Deans Honours List, 2002-2006
- University of Prince Edward Island Admission Scholarship, renewed 2002-2006
University of Waterloo Affiliations
- Member of the Waterloo Institute for Nanotechnology
Professional Associations and Service
- Graduate Advisory Committee, 2015-present
- Advisor to UWaterloo start-up Thalo, 2015-present
- Faculty of Science Foundation Committee Member, 2014-present
- NSERC Discovery Grant External Reviewer, 2015-16
- Departmental Safety Committee, 2014-15
- April 25, 2018: Cheaper and easier way found to make plastic semiconductors
- February 9, 2018: Mass production of new class of semiconductors closer to reality
- April 9, 2015: Waterloo researchers awarded Canada Research Chairs, funding
2011 Ph.D. Chemistry, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON
2006 B.Sc. Honours Chemistry, University of Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, PE