The research program in the Corrigan group is based on the development of molecular inorganic synthesis with a primary focus on the assembly of polynuclear, metal cluster complexes. The research program focuses on the design of reagents for the controlled assembly of clusters, which includes nanometer sized, semiconductor architectures with functionalized surfaces. The preparation of such well-defined (re: size, shape and composition) results in molecular architectures with size-dependent properties and potential applications in areas encompassing energy (e.g., photovoltaics), medicine (e.g., bio-labels) and catalysis. Research in our laboratory works within a continuum of molecule to cluster to nanomaterial.
- Metal-chalcogenolate complexes: synthesis and reaction chemistry
- Structural chemistry
- Organometallic chemistry
- Smart and Functional Materials
- Synthetic Chemistry and Catalysis
- 1994 Ph.D., Inorganic/Organometallic Chemistry, University of Waterloo, ON
- 1990 B.Sc., Chemistry Specialist, University of Toronto, ON
- 2013 Florence Bucke Prize for Research Excellence, Western University
- 2012 Ontario-Baden Württemberg Faculty Exchange Award
- 2012-13 University Student's Council Teaching Honour Role Award of Excellence, Western University
- 2011 German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) Research Ambassador
- 2006-08 University Faculty Scholar, Western University
- 2008 Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, Faculty of Science, University of Waterloo
- 2005 Outreach and Recruitment Award, Faculty of Science, Western University
- 2002-03 University Student's Council Teaching Honour Role Award of Excellence, Western University
- 2003 Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe Research Fellowship
- 2002 Canadian National Congress-International Union Pure and Applied Chemistry (CNC-IUPAC) Award
- 2001 Faculty Advisor Award, Canadian Society for Chemistry
- 2000 Premier’s Research Excellence Award, Province of Ontario
- 1998 Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI) New Opportunities Researcher
- Chair of Chemistry, 2022 to present
- Associate Editor and Member of the Editorial Board, Can. J. Chem., 2013-present
- Guest Co-Editor, Can. J. Chem., Special Issue dedicated to Arthur J. Carty (Feb. 2006)
- Member of the Editorial Board, J. Cluster Sci., 2005-2014
- Member, Chemical Institute of Canada
- P. N. Gunawardene, J. Martin, J. Wong, Z. Ding, J. F. Corrigan, M. S. Workentin, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2022, in press. Controlling the Structure, Properties and Surface Reactivity of Clickable Azide-Functionalized Au25(SR)18 Nanocluster Platforms.
- D. R. Nahhas, J. F. Corrigan, Can. J. Chem., 2021, 99, 173-181. (special issue in honour of R. H. Morris). Synthesis and Characterization of ITr–Protected Group 11 Metal Trimethylsilylchalcogenolates.
- K. Lee, Y. Huang, J. F. Corrigan, Eur. J. Inorg. Chem, 2020, 2020, 57-63. Synthesis and Reaction Chemistry of Zinc-diarylphosphido Clusters with Phosphorus Precursors.
- A. M. Polgar, Y. Franzke, S. Lebedkin, F. Weigend, J. F. Corrigan, Dalton Trans., 2020, 49, 593-597. Preparation and Luminescence Properties of a M16 Heterometallic Coinage Metal Chalcogenide Cluster.
- M. Azizpoor Fard, A. M. Polgar, J. F. Corrigan, Organometallics, 2020, 39, 2900-2906. Tethered Poly-Copper-Chalcogenolate Assemblies Enabled via NHC Ligation.
- View all John Corrigan's publications on Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.ca/citations?hl=en&user=OUDtycUAAAAJ