When applying to Waterloo you are required to declare all academic education from all past and present universities, colleges and post-secondary institutions attended. This includes programs that are currently in progress, incomplete studies, non-degree studies/courses, transfer credit courses, and online or distance education courses. All courses and marks, along with the transcript legends/keys/grading scales and degree certificates, if applicable, need to be included.
- See the Types of education (transcripts) required chart below for more detailed information.
- A transcript is required for all post-secondary academic education and needs to be uploaded through Quest.
- Copies of transcripts must display your full name, academic program and the university's name along with transcript legends/keys/grading scales.
- If you have any questions, please contact your program coordinator, or email the Graduate Studies Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Types of education / transcripts||
(declare and upload)
(do not upload)
|Transcript of all courses and grades completed and degree(s) or diploma(s) completed.||X|
Current transcript of all courses and grades in progress (post-secondary).
Incomplete studies (post-secondary).
|All University of Waterloo education completed or in progress.||declare only|
Transfer credits (post-secondary)
|Non-degree studies or courses (post-secondary).||X|
|Distance education courses (post-secondary).||X|
|Online courses (post-secondary).||X|
Courses taken on a Letter of Permission (LoP)
|Professional Credentials, such as professional designations, training programs, etc.||X|
|Exchange programs that are recorded on your home institution transcript.||X|
|Free online tutorials.||X|
- Please declare all University of Waterloo education on your application. You're not required to upload Waterloo transcripts, we'll do this for you!
- Waterloo will accept transcripts issued in both English or French from Canadian institutions only. A translation is not required.
- Please remember to include the transcript legend normally found on the back of your transcript.
- If the official language of instruction at your institution is not English, please include both the original language document and a certified English translation.
- Please remember to include the official grading scale or transcript legend.
- Degree certificates (if obtained) must be uploaded with the transcripts. If the document is not in English, please include a certified English translation.
When applying with documents from institutions in China you will need to scan and upload:
- A copy of your official transcript, graduation diploma and degree certificate.
- The official signed and stamped transcript, graduation diploma and degree certificate - showing all courses and marks, and the awarding of your Bachelor's and/or Master's degree - must be in Chinese, with a certified English translation, also signed and stamped.
When applying with documents from institutions in Bangladesh, India and Pakistan you will need to scan and upload:
- A copy of your official transcript and final or provisional degree certificate attested and verified by the awarding institution (e.g. by the Controller of Examinations or the Registrar).
- If the original documents are not in English, a copy of your certified and attested English translations, signed and stamped, must be provided with your official documents. These documents must show all courses and marks, and the awarding of your Bachelor's and/or Master's degree.
When applying with documents from institutions in Iran you will need to scan and upload:
- A copy of your official Bachelor's and/or Master's transcript and degree certificate in Farsi with an approved English translation.
- The copy of your official transcript and degree certificate must include the required approvals and stamps for the Ministry of Science, Research and Technology or the Ministry of Justice, and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and must be in Farsi with an official English translation.
When applying with documents from institutions in Saudi Arabia you will need to scan and upload:
- A copy of your official transcript and degree certificate from your institution or from the Saudi Arabian Cultural Bureau in Ottawa.
- The transcript must show all courses and marks, and the awarding of your Bachelor's degree.
Changing your previous education
- To make changes to your previous education initially listed in your application, send an email to email@example.com with the following information:
Subject line: Education change
Waterloo student ID number:
Field of study:
Date attended (from date):
Date attended (to date):
Self-declared overall average: