Phone: 519-888-4567 extension 36908
Location: EIT 4125
Professor Alfred Yu is an Associate Professor in the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department at the University of Waterloo. He obtained his undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering (with Distinction) at the University of Calgary in 2002, and received his MASc and PhD degrees in Biomedical Engineering at the University of Toronto in 2004 and 2007. In between, he completed a corporate internship at Philips Research North America. Following his graduate studies, he moved to Asia for 8 years to build an inquiry-driven research portfolio in Hong Kong, where he established and led the Biomedical Ultrasound Laboratory at the University of Hong Kong. Over this period, he first served in the capacity of Postdoctoral Fellow & Honorary Assistant Professor (2007-2008), and then as a Research Assistant Professor and the Principal Investigator of HKU Biomedical Ultrasound Laboratory (2008-2015).
Professor Yu is a Senior Member of IEEE and AIUM, and he is the Past Chairperson of the IEEE-EMBS Hong Kong Chapter (2010-2012). He is now an Associate Editor of IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control and an Editorial Board Member of Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology. He also serves on the Technical Program Committee of the IEEE Ultrasonics Symposium and the International Symposium on Therapeutic Ultrasound.
- PhD, Biomedical Engineering, University of Toronto, 2007
- MASc, Biomedical Engineering, University of Toronto, 2004
- BSc, Electrical Engineering, University of Calgary, 2002
Professor Yu’s lab is interested in making novel engineering-science discoveries in biomedical ultrasound. His group’s current research directions include:
- Ultrasound imaging innovations: Complex flow imaging, High-performance beamforming platforms, Flow phantom design
- Therapeutic ultrasound discoveries: Sonoporation, Micro/nanobubble cavitation, Wave-matter interactions, Cellular dynamics studies
- BYS Yiu, ACH Yu, “GPU-based minimum variance beamformer for synthetic aperture imaging of the eye”, Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 871-883, 2015.
- RS Leow, JMF Wan, ACH Yu, “Membrane blebbing as a recovery manoeuvre in site-specific sonoporation mediated by targeted microbubbles”, Journal of the Royal Society Interface, vol. 12, no. 105, art. 20150029, 2015.
- BYS Yiu, SSM Lai, ACH Yu, “Vector projectile imaging: time-resolved dynamic visualization of complex flow patterns”, Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, vol. 40, no. 9, pp. 2295-2309, 2014.
- Y Hu, JMF Wan, ACH Yu, “Cytomechanical perturbations during low-intensity ultrasound pulsing”, Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, vol. 40, no. 7, pp. 1587-1598, 2014.
- X Chen, RS Leow, Y Hu, JMF Wan, ACH Yu, “Single-site sonoporation disrupts actin cytoskeleton organization”, Journal of the Royal Society Interface, vol. 11, no. 95, art. 20140071, 2014.
- Y Hu, JMF Wan, ACH Yu, “Membrane perforation and recovery dynamics in microbubble-mediated sonoporation”, Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, vol. 39, no. 12, pp. 2393-2405, 2013.
- BYS Yiu, ACH Yu, “High frame rate ultrasound color-encoded speckle imaging of complex flow dynamics”, Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 1015-1025, 2013.
- CCP Cheung, ACH Yu, N Salimi, IKH Tsang, BYS Yiu, B Kerby, RZ Azar, K Dickie, “Multi-channel pre-beamformed data acquisition system for research on advanced ultrasound imaging methods”, IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 243-253, 2012.
- W Zhong, WH Sit, JMF Wan, ACH Yu, “Sonoporation induces apoptosis and cell cycle arrest in human promyelocytic leukemia cells”, Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, vol. 37, no. 12, pp. 2149-2159, 2011.
- HKH So, J Chen, BYS Yiu, ACH Yu, “Medical ultrasound imaging: to GPU or not to GPU?”, IEEE Micro, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 54-65, 2011.
Please visit Professor Yu’s personal website for further information.