Alfred Yu is a Professor working in the area of biomedical engineering at the University of Waterloo. He is based in the ECE department and holds a cross appointment in Applied Mathematics. He is also a Research Scientist at the Schlegel-UW Research Institute for Aging and a Thematic Co-Lead of the Waterloo Institute for Nanotechnology.
Prof. Yu has long-standing research interests in ultrasound imaging and therapeutics. He started his academic career at the University of Hong Kong, and he relocated his research group to Waterloo in 2015. He was promoted to full professorship at Waterloo in 2018. His research is recognized by various prestigious honors and prizes, including the IEEE Ultrasonics Early Career Investigator Award, ISTU Frederic Lizzi Award, and Ontario Early Researcher Award.
Prof. Yu is a Fellow of AIUM and a Senior Member of IEEE. He is now Editor-in-Chief Elect of IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, an Editorial Board Member of Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, a Board Director of ISTU, an Elected AdCom Member of the IEEE UFFC Society, and a Member of the AIUM Technical Standards Committee. He also chaired the Medical Ultrasound Group of the IEEE Ultrasonics Symposium in the past several years.
- Ultrasound imaging: Advanced imaging algorithms; High-performance beamforming platforms; Flow phantom design
- Therapeutic ultrasound: Cellular dynamics studies; Wave-matter interactions; Nanotechnology
- 2007, Doctorate, Biomedical Engineering, University of Toronto
- 2004, Master of Applied Science, Biomedical Engineering, University of Toronto
- 2002, Bachelor of Science (BSc), Electrical Engineering, University of Calgary
- BME 487 - S/T in Biomedical Signals
- Taught in 2018, 2019, 2020
- ECE 150 - Fundamentals of Programming
- Taught in 2016, 2017
- ECE 601 - Foundations of Biology in Eng
- Taught in 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
- ECE 607 - Fundamentals of Ultrasonics
- Taught in 2020
- ECE 700 - Topics Elec & Computer Eng
- Taught in 2016, 2018, 2019