Raafat Mansour is an Electrical & Computer Engineering Professor and the founding Director of the Centre for Integrated RF Engineering at the University of Waterloo. He also holds a Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) Industrial Research Chair on Radio Frequencies (RF) Engineering. In 2010, Professor Mansour was appointed a Tier I Canada Research Chair holder.
Professor Mansour’s excellence in research has been recognized internationally through Fellowship in the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE). He is a registered Professional Engineer in Ontario and is also a Fellow of the Engineering Institute of Canada (EIC).
Professor Mansour investigates “bottom-up” manufacturing techniques that rely heavily on chip-scale Scanning Probe Microscopes (SPMs). Scanning Probe Microscopy is the most widely used technique for imaging surfaces and studying their atomic structure. More recently, SPMs have emerged as tools that enable the fabrication of nanostructures. These tip-based SPM instruments may be able to attain atomically precise manufacturing (APM) and are thus the keys to unlocking the full potential of nanotechnology.
In addition to his many achievements, Professor Mansour established a MEMS infrastructure facility funded by Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI) and Ontario Innovation Trust (OIT) at the University of Waterloo. The facility houses a clean room for MEMS fabrication and a state-of-the-art characterization laboratory.
- RF MEMS technology
- Filters and multiplexers
- modeling and design for RF/microwave components
- Computer aided diagnostic/tuning tools for filters
- Superconductive microwave devices
- RF-CMOS components
- Electromagnetic band gap structures
- Microwaves & Photonics
- Advanced Manufacturing
- Connectivity and Internet of Things
- Infrastructure integrity
- 1987, Doctorate, Electrical Engineering, University of Waterloo
- 1981, Master of Science, Electrical Engineering, Aim Shams University
- 1977, Bachelor of Science (BSc), Electrical Engineering, Aim Shams University
- ECE 375 - Electromagnetic Fields and Waves
- Taught in 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
- ECE 770 - Special Topics in Antenna and Microwave Theory
- Taught in 2014, 2017, 2018
- ECE 671 - Microwave and RF Engineering
- Taught in 2016, 2017
- Nejad, Saman Nazari and Mansour, Raafat, Development of MEMS Reed Magnetic Sensors, IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, 52(2), 2016, 1 - 7
- Nejad, Saman Nazari and Mansour, Raafat, A 3-D Finite-Element Analysis of Giant Magnetoimpedance Thin-Film Magnetic Sensors, IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, 52(1), 2016, 1 - 8
- Fahmi, Mohamed M and Ruiz-Cruz, Jorge A and Mansour, Raafat R, Dual-band ridge waveguide filters for high-selectivity wireless base station applications, International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, 2016
- Sarkar, N and Lee, G and Strathearn, D and Olfat, M and Mansour, RR, High Speed, Large Scan Area, Distortion Free Operation of a Single-Chip Scanning Probe Microscope, Microscopy and Microanalysis, 22, 2016, 372 - 373
- Chen, WT and Stewart, KME and Mansour, RR and Penlidis, A, Novel undercoupled radio-frequency (RF) resonant sensor for gaseous ethanol and interferents detection, Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, 230, 2015, 63 - 73